Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problems with something I've bought - anyone with any advice?  (Read 3734 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Problems with something I've bought - anyone with any advice?
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:53:06 am »
I'm in the process of putting together a small butchery here so that I can make my own sausages, bacon etc.

Very exciting, but it's been tinged by a problem with a supplier!

I saw a new Torrey mincer online and gave the company a call.  They also had a second hand vacuum packer too so I ordered them both.  Gave them my Debit card number (a mistake I realise now, should have used the credit card!).

The pallet turned up yesterday.  All the outside wrapping was intact and everything looked OK, so my husband signed for it.

When he unwrapped the black plastic wrapping from the outside he could see the vacuum packer looked OK, but the crate around the mincer was damaged and the feeder plate on top of the mincer is bent.

I called the company .....Butchers Buddy, also known as AB supplies, and the guy was less than helpful!

After a short conversation with him, when he said that everything is double checked their end before packing so it must be something our end!....Of course it wasn't, and then asked me to send him pictures of the damage.  That was at 5pm last night.

Still waiting to hear from him.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this sort of thing.  What should I do next?

All advice gratefully received.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Problems with something I've bought - anyone with any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
Julie dear To late now DONOT SIGN FOR ANY THING UNTIL YOU HAVE INSPECTED IT.Reading my post you have formed the idea "I bet hes an awkward sod" Yes dear you are right I have little money and I am not letting go of any of it until I am satisfied.Little support story.Knock on front door I'll get it Kath opens door there is the most scruffy looking chap with a parcel in his hand or if you wish over his arm "You Baker" he asked Yes "parcel for you sign here " Just a minute I want to see if its OK." Oh I haven't time to muck about like that I've a lot to do" Thats all right by me take the parcel with you and close the gate on the way out But I don't I didn't hear any more as I closed and locked the door.The following day I received a somewhat terse phone call from the supplier after he finished I had my say and he was not best pleased and said I will send it by a different carrier.I said Don't worry you have the parcel back I have my money which I can spend at any other suppliers Good Morning ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:06 am »
make it clear that your setting up a butchery and if he won't sort it then forget about any other work from you. did you buy it as a person or with company card/ cash. if it was a personel buy its covered by the sale of goods act. contact trading standards and point out to him that you reject the mincer as not being fit for purpose. try contacting the maker they may help it looks bad on them also. if the outer packaging was ok then they sent you damaged goods. say that also.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:26 pm »
Many thanks to you both.

I bought it with my personal card, not a business.  So good idea about contacting Trading Standards.

I've just phoned the guy and it's gone straight to answerphone.  I left a message asking him to take a look at the pictures I sent yesterday and phone me back.

I've kept the wrapping that was around the pallet, you can see from that there wasn't any damage.

I'll let you know how I get on.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:01 pm »
For the future, if you are unable to check goods when they first arrive sign the delivery note but add 'U/E' - it means unexamined.  You are then exempted from having to check on the spot - I had a conservcatory built last year but the bits arrived a number of weeks prior to the two local chaps being able to put it up for me.  The company i bought it from said to do that as it protected them and me from any damage caused by the courier.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »
Great advice dodanjo.  I will remember that.

As I haven't heard back from the guy, I contacted my Trading Standards.

They have emailed me a template of a letter to send, titled 'Sale of Goods Act 1979'.  They said to send it recorded delivery.

Apparently you have 'reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods', so it isn't a problem that we didn't unwrap it at the time.  (Although if we had we couldn't have refused to accept it...that's my thoughts!).

Just a real inconvenience having to wait. 

I suspect it was loaded on damaged and he was hoping to claim off the courier! 

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »
Yeah I always write 'Goods not checked' under notes, if I sign for anything and the courier guy looks like he's in a hurry. Otherwise, like George, I'll make him wait while I check!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS