Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lame lamb  (Read 1873 times)

Mat-515

• Joined May 2015
lame lamb
« on: May 16, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »
Hi all, I have a 3 week old lamb which is holding up its front left limb.  Foot is clear and no infections, naval dried up and treated with iodine.  Gave metacam for pain and inflammation yesterday which lasts for 3 days but still holding it up.  She is not happy with it any ideas?? Ground is dry.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: lame lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:52:29 pm »
If there's no heat swelling in joints shes either twisted it hoolying about or have a look between her toes may be she's got a little scald off the grass.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »
yep look between and any pink bits  will be scald - treat all four hooves with terramycin sprayed between the toes.

Otherwise it may be joint ill - are any joints like the knee obviously swollen  If so Noraclav daily for 7 days,  Ring the vet if you thinks its this.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:17:20 am »
Don't know if you read my post about lame lambs but sounds very like your one and vet is adamant that it is joint ill despite there being no swelling.  He prescribed Betamox, 1ml for 4 days.  Like you mine are all iodined, and they're given Spectam at birth but it's been a big problem this year.  Upside is that they do get better and although I've had lots of cases none have died so should be okay!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS