Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly lamb  (Read 3117 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
poorly lamb
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:10:52 am »
my little shetland ewe lamb, 5 days old doesn't seem 100%
she was born with one leg behind and quite traumatic for her 1st time mother but she took to the lamb no problem, she;s producing milk but the lamb seems sleepy all the time and never seems to suck on the teat for long.
The weather today was atrocious, hail showers etc so we left mum and lamb in the yard with shed door open so they could escape the weather but when we got home tonight the lamb was in the shed (dry) but shivering abit and mum was out in the yard. She hasn't been putting weight on and doesn't seem to have much energy so we took the decision to bring the lamb in tonight to get her warmed up and fed but she isn't taking to the bottle well and only managing small feeds before falling asleep again, she's on the sofa at the moment  ::)

any suggestions?.....I am waiting for blood test results back from the mum to check for any deficiency from her.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: poorly lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:33:42 am »
Perhaps tube some glucose solution to give her an energy boost and then she may be able to feed more. Do you think she managed to get a decent amount of colostrum - if not maybe take some off her mum and tube if she's still not keen on the bottle.   :fc:  for you.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:07:43 am »
she had bright orange poo the day after she was born so hoping she got some decent colostrum from mum.
might try adding glucose to her feed if she hasn't perked up by morning?
She's quite bouncy when she's awake but she just seems to love to sleep.....on my lap with the cat earlier!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:20 am »
Id also tube her with something we give her a boost but would be careful about how long shes away from mum .

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:07 am »
i'll keep her in tonight, we've just had another hail shower  >:(
mum is looking for her so if its dry tomorrow and she's a bit more lively I'll try putting back to mum, if not I'll hand rear her, she's my only Shetland ewe lamb this year, the rest were wethers so I have to do the best for her  :fc:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:49:25 am »
update;

she was very poor to feed, so fed little and often through the night but this morning she was crying for mum. I had taken mum into the shed this morning when I fed her so took the lamb back out (at least she'd warmed up) and she went straight onto mum and had a big drink  :thumbsup:
hoping now she's a bit brighter and she's getting plenty milk from mum she'll start to improve but will keep an eye on her.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:11:30 am »
Sounds like what they call a "poor doer" in these parts.  Sometimes they pick up, sometimes not.  I wouldn't breed from her or the ewe in the future.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:42:21 am »
Shes lucky to have a caring owner, your pic made me laugh, its good to see other 'daft' ( ln a nice way) sheep owners, you just do your best for them  :fc: shes got her battery charged !  :sheep:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:22 am »
as my OH reckons...if I had my way I'd have the animals in the house and him in the shed  :innocent:

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »
Out of interest, which one is the Duchess?    :thinking:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »
any improvement today Feisty?
Is it time to retire yet?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 06:24:06 pm »
Out of interest, which one is the Duchess?    :thinking:

the lamb  ;D

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »
just popped out to check on her and mum and they seem fine, a lot brighter, maybe a night in the warmth and being bottle fed made her realise she's better off with mum after all

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:17:39 am »
after keep lamb and mum in the shed for a day & night, I let them out into the field today seeing as its reasonably sunny and was delighted to see the lamb jumping and leaping and running around. Not entirely convinced she's getting enough milk as she never stays on the teat for long and her mum's udder isn't that big but she nibbling at grass etc so hoping things are going to turn out ok for Duchess  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS