Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Lambs  (Read 3711 times)

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
Lame Lambs
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:57 am »
Needing some ideas as to why my lambs are lame.  Many lambs were quite weak at birth, fairly thin and leggy with not the usual get up and go but lambing inside so not a huge problem.  They seemed to come alright but now they are about 6 weeks old many are hanging front legs.  There is no swelling of the joints and no sign of scald.  They can still run fast if you try to catch them and are growing and eating well.  I have had 3 which have gone off back legs and really struggled to walk so I was thinking white muscle disease?  Could the others just be showing less severe symptoms?  I got vitesel from the vet and have treated them with 1ml each.  The really bad ones had it again after 2 weeks and they are going about now but are half the size they should be and still stiff with funny walks.  Info I have read suggests that if it is WMD they will respond quickly to the selenium injection but they haven't shown a marked improvement. To be honest the 2 vets I have shown them to and discussed this with have been no use!  They just say they don't know, prescribed antibiotics despite there being no swelling or sign of infection and said they could only test for WMD if we had a dead one to test.  So far I have managed to keep them all alive and am not prepared to sacrifice any!! Any ideas?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Lame Lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:13:36 pm »
Sorry no ideas but I'm sure one of the vets on the forum or someone will have some ideas for you soon !! Hope you get it sorted as like you once they're on the ground safely I would hate to loose them  :hug:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
Swayback / copper deficiency?
The fact that you see the same symptoms in many animals would suggest some type of deficiency, I think?
(Pretty much guessing here, sorry - hopefully more experienced sheep people will be along soon!)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:16 am »
Yes I'm thinking deficiency too but not sure what :( They have had mineral blocks all winter and have eaten A LOT ;D Had some last year also hanging front legs but thought it was scald due to the amount of grass.  They all went away fat so must have come alright.  This year there are more severe symptoms which made me think deficiency.  Have only had sheep for 4 years and moved house 2 years ago so this is second lambing here.  No problem in first 2 years but guessing that with a deficiency it will get worse each year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:44 am »
Swayback is very distinctive and can be obvious from birth or develop when the lamb is arund 8 weeks old.  The front legs work fine, the back end sways around and drops to one side.  It's said to be due to the inability of the ewe to take up copper (generally due to high levels of inhibitors like molybdenum or iron in the soil) in mid to late pregnancy, but I think there's also a genetic element as one twin can be affected and the other not.

As the lambs were weak at birth has your vet considered whether an abortion agent is affecting the ewes?

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:28 am »
I have had a couple off their back legs but vet didn't think swayback as their backs are strong and it wouldn't account for the more common front leg problems.  He's never mentioned abortion agents, what are they?  The ewes are all done with Heptivac P Plus. Do you think it would be worth soil testing? 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:24:57 pm »
Swayback is, basically, down to the back legs not getting the correct signal via the nervous system on how they're supposed to work, so the "back" part is a description of where rather than what the problem is.  Toxoplasmosis contracted later in the pregnancy (from feed or water contaminated with cat faeces) can cause weakly lambs. Earlier in pregnancy is will generally cause abortion.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:54 pm »
Have they been wormed yet?

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
Had yet another vet here who is adamant that they have joint ill.  He says it's really bad all over this year.  There is absolutely no swelling and they seem to be recovering without treatment after a couple of weeks limping.  This is against anything I thought I knew about joint ill so thought I'd post here to let you all know!  The vet prescribed 1ml of Betamox LA for 4 days but because I know there are lambs recovering on their own I am loathed to do this as it is likely to upset their natural immune system.  Also I have 50 ewes & lambs so it would be a huge amount of work to catch each lame one (about 20) every day for treatment! I have a pet lamb on the Betamox treatment and it doesn't seem to be getting better any faster than the rest, although the vet did say there was no hope for it and I should "chap it"!  That was 10 days ago and he is now walking normally on both front legs but still dragging a back one.  He has eaten and drank throughout and moves around the pen so I think there is hope :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS