Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning out orphan/pet lambs  (Read 4459 times)

Gail@BrickHouse

• Joined Mar 2015
Turning out orphan/pet lambs
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:19:45 am »
Hello everyone,
I have two orphan lambs and am acquiring two more today. They are bottle fed and I understand I should aim to wean them  by 6 weeks. At the moment, I have them in a nice warm stable and I'm wondering when they should go out in the field? many thanks.....

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Turning out orphan/pet lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:14:23 am »
Ours go out once fully weaned and eating creep. Weaned at 6 weeks. Normally go out 8-10 weeks but it does depend on weather and how they are doing. Only for a few hours at a time, then build it up so they are out in a paddock then out in a field. Ours normally go out in the back garden behind electric fence.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:35:50 am »
Depends on the weather, when I had orphan lambs, if the weather was nice during the day they would go out in a little paddock then back in at night from about 3 weeks old.  Then at 6 weeks they were out 24/7

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:01 am »
We must be a bit harsher than most and chuck them out 24/7 on the garden from day 2 with a straw bale shelter.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »
As above, out in the field  with others as soon as they get bouncy in day. Out all the time if weather ok and once they have found a nook/ shelter. Usually 1 or 2 weeks... Mind you I've never had orphans this early.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:41:38 pm »
I'm assuming you will lock them up at night yes?  Don't let them gorge, do short spurts of field time then lengthen.  I would adjust maybe one bottle at that stage here as I don't like the idea of them over filling on grass and milk, watch how much water they are taking in too xx

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 02:38:00 pm »
I'm assuming you will lock them up at night yes?  Don't let them gorge, do short spurts of field time then lengthen.  I would adjust maybe one bottle at that stage here as I don't like the idea of them over filling on grass and milk, watch how much water they are taking in too xx

I agree.  Everything in stages at such an early age.  Not something you can do with big numbers but for a few it minimises stress.  I wouldn't leave them in the same accommodation much longer due to the risk of coccidiosis.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS