Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe due in 5 days  (Read 2431 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
ewe due in 5 days
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »
I have a Hogg due on Saturday who appears lame, she seemed OK at six am, although was lying down away from the others, ate her pellets and went back to lie down. Noticed her lame at 11am. She does seem to be lying down a lot. Wondering if the best thing to do is inspect footor not? She will go into a mothering pen no problem and can't see lifting her foot being an issue. I'm not wanting to stress her out so close to lambing. I have antibiotis etc on hand. Could the lame be causing pressure/be pressing on a nerve?.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: ewe due in 5 days
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »
If she's eating okay - grass as well as cake - then personally I would not be tipping her up as I am always worried about the harm that stress can do so close to lambing.  As you can handle her, check her temperature (ears) and feel for heat or lumps in the leg.  Chances are she's just finding it all uncomfortable and will be fine once she's lambed. ;)

In the interests of balance, I will tell you that BH would do the foot if she's that lame, 5 days off lambing or not.  And I can't say I've ever seen his interventions appear to cause any problems ;)

But on the moorland farm, we did treat some feet about halfway through the first time, and said we would never do that again.  Perhaps it was so very much more stressful because the sheep didn't know us - we bought the farm, complete with sheep, in the October, and tupped in November.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:57 pm »
She's indoors but eating fine, happily eating cake and hay and drinking lots. Her ears didn't feel overly cold but will recheck her soon.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
It was more that if she has an infection her ears may be hot, so it sounds like they aren't.  :thumbsup:

Are you sure she is lame and not just needing to rest as she's so close to lambing?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »
Its more likely she is uncomfortable rather than lame, will keep an eye on her. Going back soon

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 02:34:30 pm »
Catching and checking depends a bit on the sheep - ours are very docile and used to being handled so at this stage I'd put feed in the trough, grab the ewe and have someone stand astride her shoulders to keep her still while I turned up the foot.  As soon as she was treated I'd hold a bucket with a small amount of feed in it in front of her nose ..... seems to take their minds off being caught.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS