Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scours  (Read 5223 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Scours
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:08:07 pm »
i have a small lamb scouring which I suspect is due to me giving her some Lamlac as not getting enough from mum. I was giving her goat milk and she was fine. I don't have any electrolytes but have substituted food for water but is there any way of making up an electrolyte solution as can't get to the vet for some?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Scours
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:43:07 pm »
Wiki and the world health organisation would sugges 6 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 litre water

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:03:14 pm »
Preferably not to use refined sugar, but honey (raw) is better. I have used the following.:

2taespoons of salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb) and 8 tablespoons of honey to 1 (American - 3.5ltrs) of warm water.

Taken from Storey's Guide to Raising Goats. It worked. The say never to use cane sugar, but a raw form of natural sweetener.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »
Great thanks, I will try that in morning. I'm so scared she is going to die if she doesn't get enough food. She only weighs 2.7kg at a week old and her brothers are at least twice her size if not bigger. Mum looks after them ok but sometimes titch gets left behind. Still not sure how good her sight is, she sometimes looks a bit lost although she heads me coming and runs over.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:57 am »
Also try giving a dose of kaolin mixture if you can get it.
I had a bottle lamb that wouldn't tolerate lamlac after starting on goats milk and kaolin settled him again.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:21:40 pm »
If I need to use sugar based item I tend to go for corn syrup aka golden syrup.   

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »
Does anyone add egg in to homemade scour mixtures?. It seems to work with calves

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:25:59 pm »
She seems to love the honey mix. Will defrost some goats milk and try that again later. I don't think she got enough natural colostrum as too weak to suckle and I couldn't milk enough out of mum. She probably only had a few sucks but had some artificial stuff.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:26 pm »
Ask your cet about bimimix.  It's a calf scour aid but we have had syringes of it off them before for lambs.  As long as they're pre ruminant x

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:42:55 pm »
I do have some kaolin based stuff. She was mega hungry tonight so I have given her about 100ml of weak Lamlac and may offer some before bedtime. She seems bright enough. Goat milk should be thawed by morning so will give that instead of Lamlac see how she does.

I presume as she is desperate for the bottle she is actually hungry? In the past if they have had enough they tend to just play with it and go away.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
Yes if she sucks she is hungry. I would try and give her some more diluted Lamlac, and then onto the thawed goatsmilk if you have it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS