Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potato harvest now!  (Read 3190 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
potato harvest now!
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »
I just thought I'd have a tidy in the containers which got covered by snow and ice lately - and I found at least 3 meals worth of nice tatties in one container! The ones in the old bathtub had all frozen to mush (not enough earthed up as they were the last batch) but I was thrilled!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: potato harvest now!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:56 pm »
My heap in the back garden hasn't quite defrosted yet - but I may well find the same when I can get a fork into it!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:59:59 am »
Im hoping that a few tyres stacks that I havent harvested yet will provide a good few spuds that have overwintered, they usually do in milder winters but this hasnt been a mild winter!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:25 am »
Hello jackie in fact Good morning all.Being somewhat farm orientated I have access to empty spray cans.A few years ago I collected a goodly supply and cut out the tops Drilled a few holes in the sides about 11/2" up Fill the bottom to the holes with rubble and then 6" odd good soily compost and plant a Lady Crystl in I buy those terribly expensive planter seed theres about 8/9 for £1.80p I plant Lady Crystl Red Duke Of York and Sharpe's Express then some Carlingford and then a couple of tubs of Desiree.I fill the drums to the top as the plants grow just like the farmer hills his in the field.I don't usually grow main crop I get some given from farming pals.We were given a bag last year of Accord I wont recommend them at all they don't make good boiled steamed or chips very disappointed we were.As soon as the temperature rises to a bearable level we shall tip all the drums out sieve the rubble to a heap and wash out the drums with some Jeyes water then water the rubble with the wash water.Then mix some more soily and plant a spud and as it grows keep filling the drum with more soily until its full again Give the potato plenty of water they love it and if I give them to much it runs out the holes.They grow lovely along the fence separating me from next door. :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »
not got any tatties left I dont think....... but found half a dozen ENORMOUS parsnips on Saturday, delicious and sooooo sweet!
Little Blue

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:50 am »
I always find some tatties growing in the compost heap. I never have any idea how they get there!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:54 am »
I never put potato haulm in my compost I always burn it and tomato plant remains as well Potato family bugs and blight don't like a bonfire specially if they are sitting on it ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS