Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: allotment eviction  (Read 4297 times)

tomandbarbara

• Joined Feb 2009
allotment eviction
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:42:26 pm »
I am not sure whether this is the correct place for this post.
I have received an eviction notice from the council for breach of my tenancy rules.
They have given me 28 days to vacate the plot.
Up until receiving this letter I have not broken any rules and I have not received any warnings.
Does anyone know if I can fight this eviction, or whether the council should follow some form of protocol, prior to eviction ie. written warnings.
I have spent several months clearing this once derelict plot and spent pounds on new fencing only to be evicted without even planting a seed.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: allotment eviction
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:19 pm »
I don't know, basically, but I should think the very least you can ask is a list of which rules they think you have broken.  Then you know what you are dealing with.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

> only to be evicted without even planting a seed.

Perhaps that's the rule you've broken?  Seriously, if they chose now to come round for their 6-monthly audit, it could look as though the plot isn't being used, hence the notice (probably more competition for plots these days due to etc etc).

They should surely have to tell you what you've done wrong, and give you chance to make amends before turfing you off your turf one would think!?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »
i'll hazard a guess that someone on the allotment committee has a pal wanting a plot, yours hasn't been used in anger - so he's had the council step in to free up a space for his pal!

not that i'm a cynic at all!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
No, not at all, Chris - nor am I! ;)  Nepotism reigns OK! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »
I think "the committee" have the right to turf you off if they want.  My friend had a plot, she was going through a marriage break up, and her plot got overgrown, so I can understand why they made her leave.  But it sounds like yours is tidy, do completely different.  Maybe there is a rule somewhere saying if you have not planted within a certain time, then you cannot continue.

Not sure if appealing would help, but by all means try.  Really you need an explanantion as to exactly why they are not happy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:50 pm »
Of course you must appeal. What you describe goes against any kind of natural justice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS