Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: City windowsill veg  (Read 2544 times)

stuckinthecity

• Joined Feb 2010
City windowsill veg
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »
Can anyone help with advice on what veg I can grow on a windowsill?
I am living in a flat in the city and Im desperate to try and grow some of my own veg.

I have 2 south facing sheltered windowsills that are about 1m long each and I could put boxes inside or outside.

I have done tomatos in pots before but im looking for something a bit more exciting this year.

Also advice on when to plant would be helpful!

Thanks!!!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Re: City windowsill veg
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:11:33 pm »
South facing and sheltered is ideal for herbs such as basil, coriander, parsley. I would have these as permanent plants in one box and a selection of cut and come again salad leaves and perhaps radishes which are fast growing and easy to cultivate. Indoors I would try a selection of chillies.
Good luck.
JD

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:45 am »
chillies are good - plants don't get too big and you can get a great harvest from 1 plant

but you would be best with cut and come again greens or herbs.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
You can grow spinach as well, and salads like everyone says. If you have space for a hanging thing, you can also grow upside down toms, or strawberries.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:57:58 am »
you can do strawbs, but you are best to put them outside over winter to get a good frost.

also, with strawbs, chillies and toms - you'll need to remember to hand polinate them

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:17 pm »
I honestly believe any plant will grow Kidney beans and such want a lot of vertical space.Since I left the farm I do all my gardening in boxes I have planted my Lady Crystl and Red Duke of York tubers 6 of each Should be fine last week in May if no nosey sod pinches them.Some things are not worth bothering with like peas and such but have a go in one pot.I grew some leeks in a whale hide pot they worked ace and at 2 for a quid in the super market well worth while ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS