Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field to Farm  (Read 27352 times)

sanman

• Joined May 2009
Re: Field to Farm
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 08:31:20 am »
Hi Marigold, sounds as though you've got things sorted and know what you mean about the planners....taking a step at a time. Surprised you had problems with your shed though. If it's not attached to the ground and is moveable, then planning isn't required.

I think some planners know less about planning than we do.  I had one telling me we needed PP for an electric poultry fence!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:31 am »
I've previously mentioned in other posts but I apparently need planning for a veg plot and my chicken coop.. change of use is required because it's domestic use on an agricultural field.. I am currently waiting to see if they serve an enforcement notice, I've sent copies of my CPH etc. and I'm hoping they go away now they know I'm a smallholder.. we will see.. some are tin gods i'm afraid with nothing better to waste our council tax on. I got in touch with David Acreman but he couldn't really offer any advice as I only have 4 acres, 12.5 seems to be the magic number.

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
That's completely mad Helencus isn't it! As you say you've got a CPH number and at the end of the day horticulture is classified as agriculture so where's the problem???

We're actually looking at not only growing fruit and veg on our land but also as we run a landscaping business we'll be growing ornamental amenity plants for sale. It's all classed as agriculture though. Not be worth paying a planning consultant for a couple of hours to sort it out for you if you're still having problems?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:22 pm »
oh I have had a consultant advise me and essentially the issue is I have a few raised beds and post and netting fencing around an area that is literally directly off the back of my cottage. Imagine patio 4 slabs then field.. the fact I have put up a fence and added raised beds has led them to believe I am trying to turn it into a garden. Actually i'm not.. not a flower in sight.. said area is being prepared for the ducks we're planning to get as soon as the weather warms up a bit and I've told them if a couple of bits of wood offends them so much then i'll grow veg directly in the ground. I've even said i'll put a fence up between the cottage and the field.. still waiting to get a response... like I say i'm hoping they've found someone else to harrass.. Good luck because i've been told on no account can I plant fruit trees or fruit bushes either.. but I guess if yours is a business they'd be hard pressed to stop you.. me i'm just a little 'hobbyist' as they put it.. patronising gits..

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »
Hi Shaun....I know what you mean about it being a risk but seems like the only option avaaible to us. I've been in touch with a planning consultant again to look at the planning and legal implications of moving onto the land in our caravan while building our barn and he reckons it's all leggit.

We're putting our polytunnel up next weekend to get things started and then maybe next month will start excavation works for the barn and move the caravan on the day we start. The planning consultant advises that we write into the planning dept to tell them what we're doing the day we move on as they're bound to be contacted by someone complaining about the caravan. Should be interesting!!

We plan to take as long as possible buillding it and then once (hopefully) the business is set up and making money we'll submit an application for a temporary dwelling which will give us another 3 years to get better established. Mind you that could be quite a while us both living in a touring caravan with 2 mad dogs!

Will keep you posted on how the planners react in the next month or so.

Micko

Have you started yet????

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
Alright Shaun.....been nearly a month so soz for not responding...been cracking on with stuff but it all seems to take ages to get stuff sorted.

The misses and me moved the caravan onto the land last weekend and got it stuck in the mud straightaway. Eventually got it out (digging, cursing and swearing) and sort of in the desired position (facing the wrong way but not precious). Been trying to sort things since....building pig ark, rotovating, rabbit fencing and loaning out an allotment sized patch thru Landshare to a local couple. Polytunnel still not yet up....maybe a project for this weekend or next but concentrating on OSB / Tamworth weaners due this weekend.

Letter has gone into the planners about us being on the land but as yet no reaction so fingers crossed. Place looks a bit of a mess at the moment so no doubt may attract adverse comment from the odd local but in early days so determined to see it through and apply for temp planning approval before too long.

Best feeling ever actually being here and can't wait for the pigs this weekend!!!!!!

Will let you know what reaction if any from the planners.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:35 pm »
Micko

Thanks for the update. Good luck with the pigs. I have been eating ours for the past month and they where fantastic. I still thing the biggest problem with the idea of Field to Farm is cracking the income situation. I suppose if it was too easy every man and his dog would bbe doing it. At the moment I think I will be still doing my main job and using the land I have more as a method to provide rather than to earn!!

thegoodlife

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:59 pm »
Been a few years now, and I wondered how your smallholding has been for the last few years, Micko. We've just made the resolution to leave our home when we buy the right land. I hope it has went well for you.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 08:50:07 am »
Micko

I still thing the biggest problem with the idea of Field to Farm is cracking the income situation

Getting an Ag tied property built (F2F or not) is all about the income, and yes it's bloody hard, we're only 6 months in to our 3 year temp planning and have not even succeeded in moving on to the land yet.
We've done ok trading so far but there is a lot of work to do in the next 30 months (realistically we will need an extension i think)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS