Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Tup Lambs  (Read 23050 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Feeding Tup Lambs
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 01:14:47 pm »
Gosh... 15Kilo lamb!! Not sure whether to believe it, sure its not in lbs?

In the farmers weekly this year was a 10 kilo monster lamb, you should tell the farmers weekly about your lambs next year

If a newborn lamb can be 15 kilo then thats enough to put me off suffolks for life I reckon

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »
Totally agree with you LadyGrey.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

go to the suffolk society basco records an it will tell ye thats not true..i didnt breed it purposely to be that big, she give no problems at all..they are lambs born far far bigger than him

hardly worth arguing about but 15 kg does seem a whooper ---I can only find BASCO info. on average sizes on the Suffolk site ---do they show record sizes too? Can you post a link, it would be interesting to see largest/smallest viable lamb sizes etc

the only sizes i can give personally are the ones from my lambing book that has to be kept when registering..birth,8 week and 12 week is recorded on it an they are marked on a score from 1 to 5 for lambing, vigour an suckling assistance..i can send you a copy of my lambing book from last year..on my personal online basco i can look up lamb weights tho..

I was wondering what the range of birth weights were for the pure Suffolk breed and the only info. I can find are from BASCO data on the society website for average sizes

I found what I presume to be your data (Beagh Suffolks) on the BASCO site but it only came up with 3 lambs for some reason ?

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »

go to the suffolk society basco records an it will tell ye thats not true..i didnt breed it purposely to be that big, she give no problems at all..they are lambs born far far bigger than him

hardly worth arguing about but 15 kg does seem a whooper ---I can only find BASCO info. on average sizes on the Suffolk site ---do they show record sizes too? Can you post a link, it would be interesting to see largest/smallest viable lamb sizes etc

the only sizes i can give personally are the ones from my lambing book that has to be kept when registering..birth,8 week and 12 week is recorded on it an they are marked on a score from 1 to 5 for lambing, vigour an suckling assistance..i can send you a copy of my lambing book from last year..on my personal online basco i can look up lamb weights tho..

I was wondering what the range of birth weights were for the pure Suffolk breed and the only info. I can find are from BASCO data on the society website for average sizes

I found what I presume to be your data (Beagh Suffolks) on the BASCO site but it only came up with 3 lambs for some reason ?

we have sold alot of lambs and old ewes this year. on there at the moment are 3 tups for breeding with the commerials of my own breeding the one that is SUX 14:00102 is the one that was the monster lamb...that lamb also won me a cup this year.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »
I just need to get this off my chest: "Suffolking big lamb that is!"

There, its off.

How long have you bred your monster Suffolks?   

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »
I just need to get this off my chest: "Suffolking big lamb that is!"

There, its off.

How long have you bred your monster Suffolks?
that lamb was just by chance of AI off a big tup...all the rest of them vary between 5-8.5kg ....we went out them then i decided to go back under my own name a couple of years ago

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 08:11:08 pm »
What is your rate of assisted births (touching at all) vs lambing completely unassisted?

Do you select for unassisted lambing?

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 09:02:58 pm »
What is your rate of assisted births (touching at all) vs lambing completely unassisted?

Do you select for unassisted lambing?
all my commercial ewes are selected for unassisted lambing but the pedigrees are generally unassisted expect for the odd gimmer with first lambing complications...most of the tups we use are for easier lambing to make life easier. 

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
[

we have sold alot of lambs and old ewes this year. on there at the moment are 3 tups for breeding with the commerials of my own breeding the one that is SUX 14:00102 is the one that was the monster lamb...that lamb also won me a cup this year.
[/quote]

Found him!

http://www.basco.org/sheep/animalmanager/animaldetails/id/9677702

Imagine what weight he would be if he was in the top 10% of the breed ---potentially an extra 5 kg!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »
Just wait for the navels to dry and straight away to the light lamb market!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:49 pm »

I was actually referring to the 20 week weights --- this lamb has shown tremendous growth but is genetically ranked as below average (20 week weight potential of +4.97 kg ) whereas the top 10% of the breed have a potential of +9.42 kg
So therefore a lamb with higher genetic potential but with the same well managed feed regime could achieve exceptional weights

Do you scan for muscle/fat depths Beagh Suffolks?

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »

I was actually referring to the 20 week weights --- this lamb has shown tremendous growth but is genetically ranked as below average (20 week weight potential of +4.97 kg ) whereas the top 10% of the breed have a potential of +9.42 kg
So therefore a lamb with higher genetic potential but with the same well managed feed regime could achieve exceptional weights

Do you scan for muscle/fat depths Beagh Suffolks?
no, because for that i would have to join the signet group..where i would be scanning and weighing everything..i dont have enough ewes at the moment to justify the price of that..so im just doing the weights..the only animal on that that has had all them scans an weights is my stock ram Burnview Risky Business ..(couldnt think what else to name him!)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 08:30:36 pm »
Not a bad name---1 year I named all my pedigree rams after dictators, Gaddaffi, Thatcher, Amin etc
Another year it was curries  ;D
Don't bother with names at all now UK number is plenty

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 08:48:19 pm »
Not a bad name---1 year I named all my pedigree rams after dictators, Gaddaffi, Thatcher, Amin etc
Another year it was curries  ;D
Don't bother with names at all now UK number is plenty

all rams are numbered in the suffolk society until you sell them for breeding then the new owner has to register them as a stock ram therefore having to give it a name...numbers are easier

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:25 pm »
Aww, I'm so disappointed! I thought 20kg lambs were on the cards!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS