Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: invasion of the wooly jumper.  (Read 4903 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
invasion of the wooly jumper.
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:56:26 pm »
While doing my morning rounds I noticed that there was a new sheep in with some of my sheep a Blackie tup lamb how the f___ did that get in here this is the none breeding bunch with two ewes that are not fit to breed and three ewe lambs that were not for breeding this year. I moved my sheep into the next field and he jumped the fence to join them, moved them back and he jumped back in, thought going through my head is gun need a gun anyway managed to get him back into the second field and into a pen he jumped out, I opened the gate onto the lane where my neighbour stoped him from going onto the road and he got round a corner of a garage and jumped back into the second field, told neighbour to leave me to it so once again got him out the gate and he ran along the road and up into the forestry looked like he knew where he was going. Folks talk about primitive sheep being jumpers but this tup was defiantly a woolly jumper.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: invasion of the wooly jumper.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
My neighbour's Badger Face ram jumped a five foot sheeted cattle gate and two untrimmed hedges to get to ewes in the field behind our farmhouse a couple of years ago. 

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »
Thanks for making me laugh  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:43 pm »
That's the Welsh for you!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:22 pm »
A nearby farmer had the same experience with his pedigree Lleyns--- a mongrel ram appeared from down the road. He caught it and sent it back. It appeared again very shortly so he took it back and asked that it be kept locked up.
later that year he got a bill for hire of the ram (which he thought a bit cheeky)  >:(

Next year the same thing happened---so he shot the ram and dumped it on the offending farmers lawn  :o
relations between the two haven't really recovered  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 01:40:17 am »
You can imagine that we took the decision with care to get a Shetland tup lamb...  :o

Not worried if he escapes his little harem and finds some of our own commercial ladies (s'long as he doesn't get into a scrap with one of our own tups), but definitely don't want him finding his way onto neighbours' properties!  I think he'll be fine where he is - provided we don't get a long dry spell and the river level drop too low...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

Next year the same thing happened---so he shot the ram and dumped it on the offending farmers lawn  :o
relations between the two haven't really recovered  ;)
[/quote]

Is he available to carry out a hit on a Welsh Black steer for Me?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:50 pm »
You can imagine that we took the decision with care to get a Shetland tup lamb...  :o

Yes, us too!  However, since we're tupping later than any of our neighbours, with any luck their ewes should already be pregnant by now anyway.

So far he seems quite happy with his wee harem though, so I'm hopeful he'll stay put!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 05:04:28 pm »

Yes, us too!  However, since we're tupping later than any of our neighbours, with any luck their ewes should already be pregnant by now anyway.

Unless they don't tup their ewe lambs...  :o  (We don't, as a rule.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »
There is always that, but then he only has to cross one fence to get to our ewe lambs, whereas he'd have to cross at least four to get to the only neighbour who doesn't tup his lambs. Hopefully he'll choose to stay put with his own girls, rather than wandering off to see if there's any better talent over the hill!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:51:35 am »
Bigchicken, I hope you have taken a note of the date of the "invasion", I am sure he got to at least one of your girls...

At least a Blackie isn't that massive...

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:01 pm »
Yes date recorded and haven't seen him since, hope he only covered the one but don't feel lucky.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS