Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb STILL scouring!  (Read 9346 times)

welsh_cob

• Joined Oct 2013
Lamb STILL scouring!
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »
Hi

After some advice on my 5 month lamb (texel x mule). Wormed her with 10% panacur two weeks ago, she was still scouring after a few days. Tried 18ml of vikoxin, still scouring after a few days. Tried another dose of vikoxin yesterday morning and she's still scouring. Going to put her in with hay - thinking dry feed might help as she was similar last month when I wormed her. Other lamb from the same breeder is the same age and is fine.

Not sure what else to do. Vets have said they'll want a faeces sample.

Anyone had similar experience or could suggest another idea?

Thanks in advance.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Lamb STILL scouring!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
get a FEC done and find out what the problem actually is, maybe resistant to panacur and need a different wormer.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »
Put some electrolytes in water too x

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:17 pm »
I have had this with my goats.  Did sample, and vet said high worm count, but she was not sure this was causing the scours.  Said it could be the grass - Anyway, have wormed them, and two have improved, but the other is still brilliant, although the scouring has stopped.  Giving them hay will help.  Make sure they have plenty of fluids - I synringed electrolytes into their mouths too.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »
I'm having similar problem still with a little Suffolk lamb. It was orphaned, not sure if relevant. I have wormed with everything over the past few months, oramec, vecoxin, Benzimole and finally zolvix which has no resistance. That was a few weeks ago and still no improvement. Moved onto live yogurt, pro rumen, pepto bismol and now at a loss.

Phoned vet Friday but she didn't bother calling back! I give up! Lamb is lively, eating well, adorable but skinny and shitty! Given 2 shots of amoxicillin as fly strike Thursday and skin was peeling off and sore between her legs. Looks better today.

welsh_cob

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:56:19 am »
Thanks for advice everyone.

Given electrolytes and she's started to dry up a little with hay being fed. If I kept her in with just hay she'd dry up altogether but then turning her out the whole thing starts again - which makes me think it's the paddock she's on but the other sheep are fine. Can't fathom why it's only her every time.

Will send a sample and have to try a different product next time see if that makes a difference. But she's behaving just like yours ScotsGirl, lively and eating plenty. Flystrike also started Thursday so I cleaned and dagged/crutch cut her then used maggot oil and been clear since. Horrible job!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:09:35 am »
A neighbour of mine used to swear by a couple of arrowroot drenches when her lambs had that problem.  She maintained that their little guts had had a bad time and needed to be calmed down!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 01:29:45 pm »
I'm having similar problem still with a little Suffolk lamb. It was orphaned, not sure if relevant. I have wormed with everything over the past few months, oramec, vecoxin, Benzimole and finally zolvix which has no resistance. That was a few weeks ago and still no improvement. Moved onto live yogurt, pro rumen, pepto bismol and now at a loss.

Phoned vet Friday but she didn't bother calling back! I give up! Lamb is lively, eating well, adorable but skinny and shitty! Given 2 shots of amoxicillin as fly strike Thursday and skin was peeling off and sore between her legs. Looks better today.
You have to be more patient if you want recovery ,months not weeks   .    The stomach lineing will have been damaged/stripped    this means that it is difficult to extract nutrients from the grass   .   Maybe liver and intestinal damage  the lamb can recover but some of the damage may be permanent .    May help to buy the best  and highest protein  lamb feed and start on very small amounts building up to ad lib .    It may be next spring before the lamb really recovers

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:38:53 pm »
Shepherds often give kaolin & morphine to sheep, you could check with your vet before giving for lambs, when I mentioned this to a vet once regarding a skitty ewe, he said it certainly wouldn't do her any harm, but I'd check for lambs.  It's just chalk more or less but may not help long term.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »
Been doing some mooching about and found a little thread about not using bismuth based treatments for sheep as the bismuth can whilst calming th gut will also line it and prevent absorption of other things.   This led me to look at kaolin pectins, but I can't seem to find any drenches of such products in the uk. BUT unpastuerised apple cider vinegar contains pectins and the idea is that it lines the gut and helps to slow the scours down and due it's natural anti septic properties help kill bacteria.   The drench was 1:1 water/ acv 20 ml per drench.    only do good can it not?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »
Sorry not so much slow scours down but help make droppings more formed, and help resume some normal gut activity x

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 12:34:39 pm »
Just a perhaps here, perhaps it may help to cut the hay (garden shears) into small chopped bits may help.  The hay you get for smaller animals (pet rabbits, guinea pigs) is cut shorter than the full length stuff in bales, so is an appropriate size for smaller animals. Just might make it more palatable so you get some long lasting fibre in the system.

Also make sure it's fresh, this years, tastier.  And check their water is clean each day, preferably mains water as there will be dehydration, they may take it better warm with a bit of molasses and a sprinkle of salt (so electrolytes).

Have a look around where they are nibbling too just in case there is a plant causing an upset.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »
My neighbour (commercial farmer) ran some of his sheep down the road yesterday. I noticed some very runny poo on the road when they had gone past. So it seems that there might be quite a few suffering at the moment. With the weather that we have had the grass is still growing well here so think thats the problem. The hay has definitely helped mine.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 12:33:58 am »
We have had similar problems with lambs scouring and in every case a dose of Zolvix and a couple of days on hay has fixed the problem.  Looks like there is a lot of resistance to many of the older wormers around our area  (Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire) - we have used Panacur, Zermax and others with no real effect on lambs (although the older ewes seem to be able to cope). You will need to get it from the vet (and it is expensive) but it does the job brilliantly for us.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »
equally loss of gut flora may be contributing to the problem.

As I understand it things like coxy can damage the gut linning in young lambs. Just a few ideas. 
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS