Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which abattoir?  (Read 5080 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Which abattoir?
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:22:58 pm »
I have just received a letter from Laverstoke abattoir stating that they will no longer be taking private kills fro less than 10 lambs at a time from 24 Oct.  I had planned to take my 4 lambs there in early November so either I need to pull forward the final journey or find another abattoir. I live in South Oxfordshire and I think the nearest alternative is MuchMeats in Witney.  Does anyone have experience of this place or can suggest an alternative?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Which abattoir?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »
There is a good abattoir guide on the pig page  which may help  :thumbsup:
Anne

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »
We got this letter in the post today too, pretty annoying as we've been going there for several years and like the service/high welfare standards and choosing what cuts to have etc. 

We are near Salisbury in Wiltshire and may still use Laverstoke if we have a big batch of lambs but will probably go back to an abattoir we used to use years ago at Sixpenny Handley on the Dorset/Wilts border - will need to do more research though. 

I think this is the guide mentioned
http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoir

Good luck in finding an abattoir near you!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:04:18 pm by Harebell »

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:15:58 pm »
Have a look at the Blackmore Vale Butchery website, they list nine abattoirs that they use including Clarkes at Sixpenny Handley, and they have collection points for the meat. 
I can recommend C & S Meats at Sherborne and Snells at Chard - both small and helpful with butchers on site.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »
If you go to the www.food.gov.uk website and look under 'enforcement and regulation' you should be able to get to a list of abattoirs and what they deal with.
There's more that do sheep than pigs.

can't for some reason paste a link into this reply box. ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS