Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing pigs  (Read 3075 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Mixing pigs
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:28:04 pm »
What are the veiws on mixing pigs of different ages.
I have 3 pigs (british lops) 20 weeks old & i have been offered a couple of saddleback weeners aprox 8 - 10 weeks. would they be ok in same run & same house or would they fight etc / bully?
If not would they be ok if i split the run in half & seperate them with electric wire fencing?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Mixing pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:10 pm »
Pig will always try and sort out a heirarchy, so chances are that the smaller piglets will be bullied and will have to fight for feeding.

Splitting  the pen would be a good idea and just see how it goes!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:46:42 pm »
Or the old washing up water trick!  throw a bucket of soapy water over each group then put them together, they should all smell the same and reduce the urge to fight!!

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:12:55 pm »
We are going to add 2 Middle White weaners to our herd of pigs ! But we are putting them in with GOS weaners we have only had a week, so hopefully they will be ok. If not will try the washing up water trick.

Debbie

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:31:18 pm »
I would have thought the bigger problem would be feeding, the larger pigs will always take the greater share of feed.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »
You've not met my runt then!! ;D    Spread the food around or in several buckets/skips!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »
Pigs of different ages mix very well.  The younger will not challenge the older, and the older will see no reason to attack the younsters.  Introduce in an area with good space, and after some initial interest they will settle down.   We do this regularly, with no problems.  Like the old washing up water idea though. 

As for food, if spread about it is not a problem, the little ones tend to dart in in any case, so they get fair shares.

Introduce in the morning, so they have all day to get to know each other.  Night 1 you need to provide alternate accomodation as they will probably not sleep together.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS