Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Transport  (Read 3622 times)

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
Pig Transport
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »
Can anyone tell me if you have to have side gates on the loading ramp of the trailer when loading / unloading pigs.
Thanks

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Pig Transport
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »
Are your pigs 'bucket trained' ie will they be walking in or out with their heads in a bucket of feed?!
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »

I don't have gates on mine but I use a couple of sheep hurdles.They do have to be firmly wedged or I need a couple of strong bodies to hold them there
Anne

kwillett

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:38:44 pm »
Legally now trailers which are carrying livestock should have gates. ;D

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »
 :pig:trading standards were at the slaughter house the other month and a guy turned up with no loading gates boy did the s**T hit the fan we left before the final out come but it looked as though he was in major trouble.
thats in our area but i thought you had to have them by law now i know you do need them for livestock shows etc. you could always check with your trading standards. ;)

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:32:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies very helpful

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
Yep, you have to have them under EU regulation 1/2005

Chapter III Section 1.3
Facilities and procedures
1.3. Facilities for loading and unloading, including the flooring, shall be designed, constructed, maintained and operated so as to:
(a) prevent injury and suffering and minimise excitement and distress during animal movements as well as to ensure the safety of the animals. In particular, surfaces shall not be slippery and lateral protections shall be provided so as to prevent animals from escaping;

Section 1.4 also specifies ramp angles

1.4. (a) Ramps shall not be steeper than an angle of 20 degrees, that is 36,4 % to the horizontal for pigs. Where the slope is steeper than 10 degrees, that is 17,6 % to the horizontal, ramps shall be fitted with a system, such as provided by foot battens, which ensure that the animals climb or go down without risks or difficulties;

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03:02 pm »
Glad that I read this one, will have to see if gates can be fitted to my trailer!
Anne

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:52 pm »
We took our pigs to the abattoir in a trailer without the side panels, guess we were lucky.. no inspectors there that day... Mind you the abattoir didn't say anything.

Debbie 

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:57:14 pm »
pigglewiggle,

Bit like speeding in a 30 limit, most of the time you will get away with it :)

The problem comes if you get caught by a TS on a bad day.  You pig will be unloaded (as it is not allowed to leave the abattoir alive once it has arrived) but as it was not transported legally it can (not necessarily will - depends on TS's mood) be condemed as not able to enter the food chain.  Not only do you loose you pig(s), but you will get charged disposal by the abattior for getting rid of the carcass.  Extreme? - yes, likely to happen? - more likely to get a strong warning, but can happen within the rules.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS