Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh no! My Soay's have escaped!  (Read 25155 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Oh no! My Soay's have escaped!
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »
Hello folks,

I'm absolutely distraught - my lovely Soay ewe and lamb have done a bunk.  We suspect that someone left the gate open, as all the fences are in tact.  They were last seen by the neighbouring farm legging it across a field, and they've not been seen since 6pm yesterday.

Needless to say I've been shouting, shaking feed buckets and hiking all over the adjacent land, but nothing.  I have all the local farmers on the lookout and I've been out since 4am.  Can sheep find their way home???

Lynn

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Oh no! My Soay's have escaped!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:34 pm »
Little  imps ! You must be beside yourself , I have Boreray so l know how fast they can move.
Hope someone spots them soon Lynn  :fc:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »
I read a story about a couple of escaped Soay.  Gone for a couple of days and then waiting by the gate to be let back in so  :fc:.  What a worry for you.  I suppose they will at least 'stand out' in someone elses field.

Can you put up signs in local agri. stores/ livestock market/ vets and so on?  ...... Hopefully someone will contact you.

Can you leave the gate open to their field in case they come home when you are not around?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »
Oh no Lynn - that's awful! As in the hills says though, at least they'll not go un-noticed if they end up with somebody else's flock, so hopefully you'll get them back soon.

They were last seen by the neighbouring farm legging it across a field

Does this not imply that they somehow managed to get out of your field AND into somebody else's?  That means they surely must have jumped at least one fence in the process?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »
Sadly it was a tattie field - no gate to theirs, just a massive gap.  Beyond that it's woodland and although there's a deer fence, the gate has gaps and they could easily have gone through... 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »
Oh dear!  Is it possible that they're missing the taste of seaweed, so have made a beeline for the coast?  :-J
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:07:10 pm »
 :fc: you find them soon.  I know how worrying it is to lose animals :hug:

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:15:58 pm »
 :fc: for you - I can imagine how worried you are.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:29:26 pm »
Oh dear!  Is it possible that they're missing the taste of seaweed, so have made a beeline for the coast?  :-J

....except it's not Soay that eat seaweed (there's no shore on the island)  You're thinking of North Ronaldsay which have been shut out onto the shore for 11 months of the year, so have no choice but to live on seaweed.   Sorry, I know I'm a pedant  ;D

I'm not sure I can say much to help, Lynn.  If they have gone into wooded ground then people may assume they are deer. The only upside is that they are such fiercely independent creatures that they will probably have a whale of a time if they end up living wild.  I think though that there's a good chance they will come home.

We have a Shetland which we rescued because she kept running off from her owners land, with her crossbred lamb.  She would walk into the nearest village which was 5 miles away, then turn round and walk home again  ::).
Interestingly she's never made the least attempt to leave here, but has been happy and content for 13 years.

:fc: your little sheep come home  :sheep: :sheep:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »
Take comfort from the nursery rhyme ....

Little Bo-peep has lost her sheep,
 And can't tell where to find them;
 Leave them alone, and they'll come home,
 And bring their tails behind them

:hug:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:08:59 pm »
i was wondering why i had some extra smaller sheep in that field!  :P
sorry, i'm really not helping am i?
Cheers Ed

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:43 pm »
I have a Charollais cross ewe called Charlie2 The Adventurer.  Because she goes on walkabouts, like a tom cat!  ::)Often way for days, once for months so I had her Missing Presumed Deceased.  Turned out she'd spent the winter with a neighbour who gave her a nice warm stable to sleep in.  So, just like a cat ::)

Here she is with us at Wool on the Wall ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:35:25 pm »
My first 2 sheep escaped after my son left the gate open.  I found them 2 days later up on the moor, in the geographical direction of where I had bought them.

I also heard a story about a Soay owner on a Scottish Island; they escaped shortly after him acquiring them... they were eventually spotted some 30-40 miles away, near the ferry port where they had disembarked after he bought them on the mainland.

The moral of my yarn is that you should get a map out, trace a line from you to where they came from, and then check out open spaces en route.  They will go uphill and onto open ground where they can.

If they were born on your holding...  I'll shut up!
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »
Really sorry to hear that, fingers crossed you find them soon.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:12 pm »
 :wave: i could write a book on catching escaped soays . i had 120 on a hill some escaped into a large unfenced forestry ,nightmare .they used to butt the chicken wire fence till it burst and legg it  ::) .it was the main reason i got rid . dont no where you are but i have a dog whos favorite job is catching soays (i am in fife)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS