Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram in with the girls  (Read 2119 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
Ram in with the girls
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
Hi folks i came home tonight to find my ram has escaped and broken into the girls field.he was very interested in a few of them silly question coming is there such a thing as a morning after pill i could give them .i hope it doesnt sound to daft

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Ram in with the girls
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:37:46 am »
Yes speak to your vet, there are hormone injections that can be used. However - was he not to be introduced at some stage in the near future anyway? You may just have to change your plans to lambing a bit earlier?

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:28:23 am »
No he is only six months old and a son of one of the ewes he was interested in .

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:56:40 am »
I'm not a genetics expert but I don't think one generation mother to son is likely to cause a problem.  I'm not advocating anyone does it intentionally as sooner or later something will go wrong.

Mother nature can tolerate a little bit of this but not too much.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:28:42 pm »
Well he may or may have not been successful - as long as you know who was tupped now (and can make sure that these girls get fed/boostered according to the "revised" timetable) and who was tupped later by regular tup (by making sure that he marks all his girls and the ones not marked by him should already be done by the wee man) and then all of his offspring get sold for meat/boy lambs ringed etc, then this slip-up should be fine. ore hassle come spring and you may have to lamb indoors if at all possible for the early ones.

You would have to estrumate the whole flock to make sure everybody got covered, not sure how expensive that would work out.

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:55:58 pm »
Many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS