Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping pigs in a forest  (Read 19447 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: keeping pigs in a forest
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:39 am »
The mixes for above 'understorey'.

Does anyone know if anything like this can be bought in France by the sac and if so what would it be called? I guess it would be foound in the likes of Agriel and Pont Vert but would have a problem explaining what I wanted despite having some command of the French Language.

It sounds like a plan, would like to investigate it further.

Thanks

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:04:05 am »
best bet would probably be to contact your local organic organisation, or maybe Inter Bio Bretagne? as they should know where to get good seed mixtures.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:20:59 pm »
 ???
I think I have seen some in Cecab, do you have one locally?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 05:42:44 pm »
I am probably being a bit thick HM but what is Cebab - is it an Agriel?

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:20 pm »
Sorry yes its an agricole.  We also have a CAM which although dearer would probably have the same.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:44 pm »
Very interesting on the mix you plant "resistance is Fertile"

Do you buy all that already mixed or do you buy individually and mix it yourself?

I'm not sure i can get all that in North Carolina but would like to find something close.

How many pigs to you run in the 1 acre padocks?

I have pine trees i'd like to manage for harves too so I really don't want them destroyed either

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:43:02 pm by Higgins11 »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:06:01 am »
Higgins 11 re your fir trees - Hilary , aka death to all trees - does not touch firs, doesnt even eat the roots. 

Mabs Wood Squiggies

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
I know this is an old post but I just thought you might be interested to hear of our experiences. We have 32 acres of broad leaf woodland and introduced two tamworth sows 18mths ago to see if they could help keep the undergrowth in check. They have been a great success and are now very very big girls. We do feed with nuts but they also forage for themselves all day. We got two more gilts in November and have started a breeding plan. Some management is required if you do not want any area over dug! They particularly like young oak roots and the big girls can make quick work of felling a 10yr old tree but they do not touch Ash trees which is good because we also have soay sheep who would kill for ash. So the sheep can graze round the oaks and the pigs we keep to the ash areas. We have other species of trees in another area yet to be worked. Pigs up to the age of 6months are fairly light on good ground. The big girls could be hired out as bulldozers and rotivators. But they all really love living in our wood and I certainly feel they have all had a really good life even if it has to be a bit short. The resultant meat is to die for - you'll never want to eat any indoor pork again and as for the bacon - dribble dribble - be prepared to be spoiled!! :) :pig: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS