Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: B.P.A. and ear tags  (Read 7307 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
B.P.A. and ear tags
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:07 pm »
I'm Just about to get our first load of pedigree registered Tamworths. We are going to breed them so I need to get ear tags for any weaners born. What i'm a little confused about is that the ear tags I will be buying will have my herd no., country of origin and unique numbers on each tag. I was wondering if I can use this unique number to identify the pigs and their lineage with the B.P.A. or do they generate a seperate number of their own? If they (the B.P.A)  do have their own i.d number where can I buy ear tags that i can specify a particular number on? I e-mailed them about five days ago, but never got a reply.  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: B.P.A. and ear tags
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:24:04 am »
I e-mailed them about five days ago, but never got a reply.

Join the club!  (sorry no pun intended) I can think of at least 3 people (of the very few expat in France members) who are having the same problem, not a good advert for BPA.

To answer your question, when you register your piglets you have a second number which consists of your bpa tag e.g.  TKX and then the number of the piglet, you have to opt for either your corresponding herd number, so if this is piglet no. 260 then its tkx260  or you can start separate numbers for your registered pigs, so that if this is the first piglet you have registered in that breed - then it becomes tkx1.   

Of course it may have changed but I think thats accurate.  Carole has just registered some of her tamworth babies, it might be worth asking her.  I think BPA tags should be metal ones or tattoo. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:28:37 pm »
does the B.P.A supply the tags, and if not where do you source them?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:42:54 am »
No they dont. I think any one selling ear tags for sheep etc. would sell them.  Metal ones are correct.  Personally I hate all ear tags as they pull them out, get them stuck in the bramble and tear them out or chew each others off.  If you are planning to breed it may be worth sourcing an ear tattoo machine.  I imagine any of the sheep keepers here would know the best place for ear tags.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:31:48 am »
Unfortunately the Dept of Agriculture here in ireland won't let me use an ear tatoo, it was my original preferred method. The local man here in Cavan said my choices were slap mark or ear tag. The slap marker is a bit pricey though, and we're only starting off.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
I am confused, I thought slap markers were just used for transporting pigs and for taking to the abattoir. 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
Morgan,

The tattoos are used for pedigree identification for Tamworths. It consists of you HDL (Herd Designation Letter) then the number of your pig in the herd (that has been bred by you). e.g. MXS1, MXS2 etc. These go on the ears, we use a 7mm tattoo set.
We use the tags for a dual purpose, the male side carries our DARD herd no. (i.e. Ag Dept in NI) and the female side (which sits on the outside of the ear) provides a quick reminder of of the pigs no. in the herd - e.g. MXS1 etc.

If Teagasc allow you to buy your tags outside of Eire you could try Fearing (www.fearing.co.uk) who will preprint all your tags with the herd no. and the HDL&pig number (consecutively i.e. MXS1 to MXS100).

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:33:53 pm »
Gavin,

You are a mine of information! I was going to e-mail you about it, but I didn't want to bother you, you've been so good already. Problem solved! Do you have much hastle with ear tags coming off? It seemed to me that the ear tatoo was the best idea until agriculture shot it down.

Morgan  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 03:18:28 pm »
Gavin thats formidable, wow.  Could you compromise and use tags for the holding/herd no and tattoo for BPA no?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 05:28:58 pm »
I was just looking at fearings and if i'm creative I think I can fit all required info onto the male and female side. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before 'the off', so i might be putting the cart before the horse in some instances! All the advice is sincerely appreciated though.  :farmer:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 02:06:21 pm »
Hello,

You do lose tags now and then. The Fearing tag (multiflex type R - a round button tag) is all plastic so in theory they could break off but at around 24p each it's not a huge loss. Ritchey Tagg do a stronger button tag with a steel insert but these work out at around £1 ea.

For showing pigs they need the approved method of identification. Tamworths require tattoos, others are ear notches. If you have no intention of showing your pigs then there is no requirement for ear notches or tattoos so you could you use the tag as the sole means of id (along with the piggies name of course !).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS