Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you charging /kg for your hard work ?  (Read 7219 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
What are you charging /kg for your hard work ?
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:12:24 pm »
Hi All. This is our second "crop" of pigs and I will be taking them to slaughter tomorrow.

I was wondering what is a fair rate for our tamworths. Last year we sold them per half pig, but think it is better to sell per kg .

Thanks in advance

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: What are you charging /kg for your hard work ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
It's definitely fairer to both yourself and the buyer to charge by the KG. We currently sell a half pig for £4.50/kg.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »
I sell for £6.50 per kilo and sausages separately.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
Thanks.... are those prices for just the slab or meat or boned and rolled etc ?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:00 pm »
We have chops, joints, shoulder into sausage and half the belly joints and half sausage. Nothing fancy, cost £25 for kill and cut and 50p per lb for sausage making.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:19 pm »
Thanks.... are those prices for just the slab or meat or boned and rolled etc ?
Our £4.50/kg will include basic butchery ie chops joints etc but no sausages or burgers. The price the customer pays is calculated on the bone as it comes from the abattoir, and is for a whole or half pig only. Individual cuts that we sell on the market are priced differently.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »
 £10/kg for actual weight supplied to customers for pork or sausages not including fillet, which I never sell as I am addicted to pork fillet and halumi kebabs and salt and pepper pork.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
Can I send you my pork to sell!

If I could turn a 60 kilo carcass into £600 quid, i'd get a lot more pigs!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 01:47:47 am »
£10/kg for actual weight supplied to customers for pork or sausages not including fillet, which I never sell as I am addicted to pork fillet and halumi kebabs and salt and pepper pork.

same here and no-one bats an eyelid. Remember its not just a lump of mass produced meat they are buying and most people are willing to pay a fair price for the work and effort we put in and they know the animals have the best life possible. As I explain to customers, we have higher transport costs, feed costs etc that all have to be factored in too
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:27:59 am »
Can I send you my pork to sell!

If I could turn a 60 kilo carcass into £600 quid, i'd get a lot more pigs!
Yes, me too. Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that  ;)
You're 60kg carcass will probably equate to around 45 kg (or thereabouts) after it's all cut & prepped.
You've got to take off the cost of raising, transport to slaughter, slaughter and butchery costs and transport back to customers or other storage / selling costs......
I reckon pork is now the most expensive meat to produce ethically and in high welfare conditions, yet it's still viewed as a 'cheap' meat compared to lamb or beef  :(

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:22:27 am »
I get back around 60 kilo per carcass from the butcher.

Whatever way you look at it, £10 a kilo is real good. With my last batch of pigs id be looking at around a £450-£500 profit per pig.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:05 am »
£10/kg is lovely if you can get it. Probably only achievable on a now and then basis though I don't think you'd last long if you were shifting a couple of pigs week in week out though.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:06 am »
thats very true hughesy,

as we only do a couple of pigs every 3-4 months, those that have tried our meat are happy to stock up their freezers when we have pigs back from slaughter and enough for ourselves which is what our original intention was until the kids starting complaining about eating pork every night for dinner  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 08:37:28 am »
This is a good discussion. .. Thanks for all the replies....

My slaughter house does everything for me. Giving me boned and rolled joints,  chops,  ribs, and belly in 1/2 pig boxes... then the hand forward is made into sausages. I got about 40kg of meat plus 10kg of sausages per pig.

Doing a bit of research I put my price at £7/kg and £8/kg for sausages. I still think this is a little cheap . It was based on the pricing of Tescos finest !! But Jimmys Farm is £14/kg for his joints and £10/kg for sausages !!!!

This is early days for me and am very happy that it has all been sold and collected in only a few hours. Once the word has spread I will fell more confident about pricing but so far no one has complained.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 01:08:50 am »
General sales/marketing advice......it's easier to lower prices with established customers than it is to raise them  ;)
Do your prices based on YOUR costs, otherwise you could end up subsidising other folks food  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS