Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you charging /kg for your hard work ?  (Read 7217 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: What are you charging /kg for your hard work ?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:26:36 pm »
one thing to bear in mind is that making sure your product is "finest quality" if you are charging top prices. choosing a rare breed is half the battle in the marketing and taste factors, but it also takes time to master finishing a pig with the correct amount of fat. many people are very fussy with buying inches of back fat on their meat. selling meat like this in £/kg is questionable as they wont pay £7/kg for lard, whether it was attached to pork or not.

also you need to find a decent butcher who can actually make a decent sausage, as not all can, and finding a butcher who will cure your meat is even more tricky as they can ruin good pork, refuse completely to try or charge a small fortune for the glory - wev experienced all 3!
many butchers import from denmark so have no clue in making bacon.

jimmys farm may be charging alot but hes had a massive celebrity marketing campaign behind him. id llve to see his cash flow  :roflanim: :roflanim:
http://companycheck.co.uk/company/04721026/THE-ESSEX-PIG-COMPANY-LIMITED/company-summary

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:38:48 pm »
we started making our own sausages after we got our 1st pigs back from slaughter/butcher and rather than using waste/unusable bits of pork, we use prime meat and to be honest, its nice when we can say to customers exactly whats in them
have yet to tackle smoking and curing but its on the 'list' of things to do
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »
Thanks for starting this topic, I've been pondering the same thing as our three are due to go next month.

We are going to sell ours as joints etc rather than as a whole half pig and am pondering having a go at sausages and bacon myself (hopefully with a little tutelage from our neighbour who is a master curer :yum: ).

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »
I also discovered that when people ask about buying a half or quarter pig, they don't usually mean literally, they still expect it in joints, chops etc
Freezer space for all your hardwork can also be an issue, I really didn't think they would take up so much space and had to dash out and buy a chest freezer for it all
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS