Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need to rest the land?  (Read 2128 times)

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
Do I need to rest the land?
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:34:01 pm »
I was wondering how long I can get away without resting the pig pen?

We have just about finished out first batch of 4 on ground that has never had any animals on it. The pen is 120' x 75' (9000 ft2) so a very low stocking density.

The plan is to get another batch of 5 or 6 in a months time to finish near Christmas, then rest the ground for 4 months and start another 10 in April with 6 for pork and 4 to run right through to bacon weight.

Does that sound ok or I would I really be better giving the Xmas batch a miss, re seeding and resting it until next years batch?

Any advice appreciated.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Do I need to rest the land?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:19 am »
Hi  :wave:

we rotate ours so the each pen gets at least 3 months rest, less in summer sometimes, and I've seen us move ours around earlier if the ground gets to soggy in winter which it invariably does  :raining:

as for killing pre-xmas there is always a rush on abattoirs coming up to the holiday season so you need to book them in in plenty of time. We sent ones down in January to avoid the rush.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:31 am »
Yes i think you can get away with it for your next batch and then rest it during winter.
Make sure the weaners you buy have been wormed properley and you should have no probs.
Agree about Xmas killing we actually book ours in for 1st wk in Dec in august! to make sure of a slot.
hth
mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:23 am »
Re abattoirs and Xmas. Yes, if you're an occasional producer you may need to arrange something well in advance. It definitely pays to foster a relationship with your abattoir as generally speaking we need them more than they need us. We use ours pretty much every week these days and they're definitely more helpful if they know you well. A case of beer for the lads also goes down well near Xmas.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:54 pm »
Thanks folks.

I'm making my first trip to the abattoir a week today so will have a chat regarding Xmas bookings whilst I'm there and see what my butcher says when I ring to conform they have gone in.

Were goin to try some British lops this time. And gladly, they come wormed from a local breeder.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS