Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaner not well  (Read 10411 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Weaner not well
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
I picked up 3 gilt GOS meat weaners on 18th October, so they are now aged approx 9 1/2 weeks.

This morning one of them was a lot slower out to see me and was not as enthusiastic as the other 2 to eat.

I've been out this morning, but when I came back only 2 of them were out and about.  Which is unusual because they have been keeping together since they have been here.

The unwell one was on her own in the ark sleeping.  She came out but was very lethargic and seemed a bit unsteady on her feet, but she had a drink and a wee. 

I phoned the breeder who advises me just to keep an eye on her, as long as she is feeding and drinking.

I've given the vet a call (not sure if I'm over reacting, but want to be sure!), they are going to pop out later....Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this?
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Weaner not well
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »
You have done right to get the vet in.

Its hard to tell what is wrong, but say, if for the last 10 days that she has been bullied, or pushed out at food times by the other two (more dominant) sows, she could be under the weather and need feeding separately.

Are you feeding the same feed that they are used to?  If you have changed feed she might not be getting the same minerals - but it is odd that only one is ill or off colour.  Hopefully the vet pinpoints the problem for you - good luck - and let us know what happens

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:21 pm »
Thank you Julie.

Waiting for the vet to arrive anytime now.  I've separated her and she's cuddled up in a nice pile of straw, with plenty of water and food near to her.  She's still lethargic, but no worse than she was earlier.

So fingers crossed.

Many thanks again Julie.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
I'd say its proberly nothing to do with feed nor bullying, if you weaners have come from the same source they should be well used to each others company then the pecking order will be well estabished already.

Also it doubtful it could be a mineral diffency or all 3 weaners would be down.

Does she feel hot or have a runny nose? Any heavy breathing? Dis coloured urine?

Could any number of infections, but the most common and likely is a touch of pneumonia  - most likely caused from (A) the stress of the move and (B) the change in conditions, ie environment,weather-temp,change in ark ventilation.

Nothing to major to worry about, you should really have a bottle of pen & strep in the fridge as a first point of call for these situations, the vet will bankrupt you before you know it!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:52:48 pm »
JulieS, how did it go today?  Hope your piglet is improving.

Billy, thanks for the lovely visit last weekend.  It was great to me you, Kay and all the pigs.  What is pen & strep?

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:58:41 am »
Hiya Mirimaram

Basically it is Penicillin

here's the link http://www.anupco.com/products/penstrep2020.html

We do not give it to pigs that are in the food chain, unless absolutely necessary,
and usually ask the vet beforehand.

I would not advise people new to pigs to be dispensing antibiotics to there pigs
themselves, until they are well established with a herd and experience JMVHO

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:39 pm »
Many thanks for all the help and suggestions.

An update:

The vet came out yesterday evening, and after checking her over felt that it was probably stress/change of home etc, and to keep an eye on her overnight.  I kept her separated last night, with food and water near her.

She had a peaceful night (I kept checking on her every hour, feeling like a new Mum again after all these years!! lol)  She seemed a little brighter this morning, not interested in food but was drinking.

By lunchtime she was interested in some food and just now seemed almost back to normal again.   So I've put her back with the other two and she seems to be OK.

I'll keep a watch on here again tonight, but I think she is on the mend now.

Many thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.  :)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:18:22 pm »
Thanks for the update Julie - I am so glad she is improving  ;)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:41 pm »
Glad to hear she's on the mend.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:45 pm »
BB is correct about having Pen Strep available, any smallholder/farmer should have this very good antibiotic to hand.. I cant understand why Snoopy you don't give it to pigs that are going into the food chain the withdrawal period is only 18 days from the last treatment, you say would only give a pig pen strep if absolutely necessary, well you wouldn't give it if it was not necessary surely.

Julie S, Pen strep is very good in fighting pig infections especially erysipelas which the majority of pigs carry and something minor will trigger it off, also joint ill, pneumonia, rhinitis etc.. When the vet comes ask him to show you the correct way to inject a pig, they'll be only to happy to show you, they will be far happy in showing you, than you getting him out of his bed at 3am just to inject a pig!! 

Enjoy your pigs....

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »
When the vet comes ask him to show you the correct way to inject a pig, they'll be only to happy to show you, they will be far happy in showing you, than you getting him out of his bed at 3am just to inject a pig!! 

Thats all very well.... do you think you/the vet coud tell my PIGS the correct way?!  Cos I know, but they dont seem to...
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:24 pm »
 ;D

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »
Very true Little blue!! I'm now the master at the quick injection!! I do cheat and put them in a farrowing crate for doing the routine injections/vaccinations etc..

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:47 pm »
If your unable to inject your pig or too scared to do it then you should not be keeping livestock.

I remember back in the days of getting the vet out (which we all do when we are new to pigs and worried) But after seeing a newly qualified vet grab one of my well handled sows ears and tried to drag her round to get a needle in her I pretty soon learned to DIY!

As for not injecting pigs with antibiotics because their entering the food chain.. I'm soory snoopy but thats a load of cr*p from where I'm sitting, If you animal is suffering then it needs treating, your far more likely to do more harm not injecting than injecting.

Not mention, the affect you are potentially having on the end product if you don't treat.

Julie, despite the vets advice I would keep a close eye on all 3 of your weaners, something could well pop up again as something more sinister take this pigs behaviour as a warning, I'm not saying it will for sure but be ready to act if you see many more signs of this sort of behaviour.

Oh and Miri, last but not least it was great to meet you lot too! Your welcome anytime!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:15:38 pm by BillyBerridge »

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »
Julie - Did the vet think it necesary to - and did he inject your pig with penicillin?

Billyberridge - just for your peace of mind...

My husband has trained with a Vet, and worked with local vets. He injects our animals, he knows what he is doing and how to do it, and also know not ti give antibiotics when it is not necessary - that is why they no longer work well on humans, people are too quick to inject, just as Doctors have been too quick to hand out prescriptions, it is all down to experience and common sense.

Also it is 28 days before animals can be accepted into the food chain after
injection where we live.  This is specified by the vets that take the food into the food chain at the abbatoir.

As far as Erysipelas - we ourselves have never had any of our pigs suffer from this in the good number of years we have been breeding. 

Good hygiene and the employment of cats to keep the rats away, usually means it does not get into your herd.  Maybe we are just lucky to have a healthy herd. 
We all have our own ways of dealing with things, and I advised Julie as I saw fit.

I think Billyberridge  that you may have jumped to a few conclusions and read inbetween some lines here - not a good thing to do - it has upset me that you think I am talking a load of crap - at 50 years old and having run a pig keeping business as a couple, with a lot of experience, I can assure you, we do not talk crap - maybe you misunderstand my post or have for some unknown reason taken it personally. ???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:35:18 pm by Snoopy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS