Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaner not well  (Read 10459 times)

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Weaner not well
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 09:29:31 pm »
Snoopy, I'm not trying to get your back up I'm simply having my opinion dont take me the wrong way.

You can't say that its sensible for someone to keep livestock and no be able to inject them, especially on the scale most on here are keeping them, all vets do is upset the animals and kill any profit you stand to make.

I agree if in this case it was not needed to inject the pig in this then of course it was the right thing not to inject, but inject if needed and dont be scared to do so better to be safe thn sorry.

After all, what harm would a penicillin tablet do you if you didnt really need it? On the other side to the coin how much good would it do if you did need it?? No brainer really ;-)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075

This is one reason why taking an antibiotic when you do not really need it
can cause problems in people.

It works the same in animals - although I don't have time to look for a link
at the moment.

I am allergic to Penicillin, therefore if it did get into my food, the food would
make me very ill.

Just a few thoughts on antibiotic use
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »
Sorry Snoopy its is not 28 days here and I cant see why its 28 days where you are. For Pen Strep slaughter for human consumption dates are 31 days for sheep, 23 days for cattle and 18 days for pigs. As long as the aforementioned dates are adhered to our abattoir accepts them.

As for erysipelas its present in almost all pigs and sometimes never manifests itself, good hygiene practice does not stop you getting it, it helps but it only goes part of the way in preventing it, the reasons for triggering it off is, stress of being moved/weaned, sudden rise and fall in temperature, muggy weather, more prevalent in straw based systems, on of the the worst carriers are birds namely pigeons, and yes rats do carry it, or it has been brought into your herd by purchase of stock and/or a visitor to your farm. Likewise we haven't had it as we vaccinate against it with Ery+Parvo rather than leave it to the farm cat!!

Like you I am also experienced in keeping pigs, I am the 4th generation of my family to keep pigs and have the benefit of a in house vet, namely my brother..     

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 12:26:02 am »
Antibiotic usage and animals link from:-

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/antibiotics/

Antibiotics and the Animal Industry
Industrial farms have been mixing antibiotics into livestock feed since 1946, when studies showed that the drugs cause animals to grow faster and put on weight more efficiently, increasing meat producers' profits.6 Today antibiotics are routinely fed to livestock, poultry, and fish on industrial farms to promote faster growth and to compensate for the unsanitary conditions in which they are raised.7

Modern industrial farms are ideal breeding grounds for germs and disease. Animals live in close confinement, often standing or laying in their own filth, and under constant stress that inhibits their immune systems and makes them more prone to infection. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, as much as 70 percent of all antibiotics used in the United States is fed to healthy farm animals.

When drug-resistant bacteria develop at industrial livestock facilities, they can reach the human population through food, the environment (i.e., water, soil, and air),8 or by direct contact with animals (i.e., farmers and farm workers).

Industrial livestock operations produce an enormous amount of concentrated animal waste—over one billion tons annually—that is often laden with antibiotics, as well as antibiotic-resistant bacteria from the animals' intestines. It is estimated that as much as 80 to 90 percent of all antibiotics given to animals are not fully digested and eventually pass through the body and enter the environment,9 where they can encounter new bacteria and create additional resistant strains.10 With huge quantities of manure routinely sprayed onto fields surrounding CAFOs, antibiotic resistant bacteria can leech into surface and ground water, contaminating drinking wells and endangering the health of people living close to large livestock facilities.

Antibiotic Resistance, Public Health and Public Policy
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria is a growing public health crisis because infections from resistant bacteria are increasingly difficult and expensive to treat. As of this writing, the U.S. Congress was considering legislation, staunchly opposed by industrial farm lobbyists, which would ban seven classes of antibiotics from use on factory farms and would restrict the use of other antibiotics. This is a response to the fact that modern industrial livestock operations threaten to increase the prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

It has been estimated that at least 18,000 Americans die every year from drug-resistant infections.11 In addition, the National Academy of Sciences calculates that increased health care costs associated with antibiotic-resistant bacteria exceed $4 billion each year in the United States alone12—a figure that reflects the price of pharmaceuticals and longer hospital stays, but does not account for lost workdays, lost productivity or human suffering.13
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

chickenfeed

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 06:47:43 am »
 :)i have to agree with pentre about the erysiplas pigs can get it for many reasons traveling to a show is one way we had one pig get sunstroke this year and the stress of the illness was enough to triger erysipelas he survived with a lot of tlc, it just somting that stress will trigger in some pigs eventhough most pigs are carriers and not down to hygine etc. as pentre said it could be the weather, weaning or just any change that has upset the pig. it is also known as diamond disease and is more prevelant in east anglia than anywhere else.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 08:05:12 am »
What happens in an organic herd?  Can they be innoculated for erysipalis?  Justs curious.

chickenfeed

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 08:16:02 am »
 :pig: i am not sure about the organic route. the majority of pig breeders that show their pigs do not inject as the injection itself can trigger stress and thus trigger the erysiplis. as with most animal husbandry issues its down to the induvidual

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 10:50:01 am »
Few extensive farming setups have a problem with erysipelas plenty of space equals less stressed animals,but you can be unlucky and quick treatment is vital[hence a bottle of pen strep to hand].It is very obvious that a pig has this problem you'll know it when you see it [or you should if you've done your research before getting pigs] Who want's lame pigs or worse ones with dodgy tickers that can just drop dead in front of you cos you didn't treat or not treat quickly enough?Generally speaking organic set ups aim to avoid unnecessary treatments and aim to farm in such a way as to avoid the problem in the first place,but treatment can /must be given even on organic farms if it does develop.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:55:00 am by gavo »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »
Thanks

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 06:24:30 pm »

You can't say that its sensible for someone to keep livestock and no be able to inject them

Totally agree with that one!
My horses all got strangles a few years ago and i soon had to come familiar with a gigantor needle, and jab 3 horses, 2 times a day with 25ml of penicillin! Not for the feint hearted and squeamish, also got kicked a few times when they became wise of me!  :-\
You soon learn to sharpen up!  ;)
Danielle  :pig:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 06:54:29 pm »
 I personally wont take antibiotics if I can help it but would always treat a sick animal with them. There is a big difference between treating a sick animal and feeding antibiotics to make them grow faster.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 06:55:18 am »
Sorry me being thick again . ...  do antibiotics make animals grow faster?   :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:57 am »
 :pig:hi hilarysmum if your thick so am i, i never knew that antibiotics made you grow faster i thought that was steroids. actually i still think its the later ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:08:36 am by chickenfeed »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »
Just thought it might me the reason Im getting fatter  ;D ;D :pig:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 12:10:37 pm »
I have simply quoted Snoopy's article posted a few days ago, according to it research in 1946 showed that animals given antibiotics grew faster. it also said that animals today are still routinely fed antibiotics to promote faster growth.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS