Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Footvax  (Read 15005 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Footvax
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:34 am »

Vet coming at lunchtime - :(  Very concerned
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 05:46:43 pm »

You just never know what is round the corner with sheep - even if you think you've got everything covered!  :(

So true - you'll never win - they're the professionals when it comes to keeping you on your toes.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:24 pm »
 The vet came and is off to talk to the Footvax manufacturers.  She's baffled temporarily.   ??? The weight loss on 2 ewes since Friday has been frightening and one lamb is still running a fever - despite anti-biotics and metacam on Mon.   The vet gave me the absolute third degree on everything I have done with the sheep, everything I have ever treated them with, going back some time and tested me on the Footvax data sheet! .Just as well I usually have an anorak memory!   More metacam today - more anti-biotics tomorrow and I will keep a very close eye on everyone.  I seem to have become a virtually full-time shepherdess over the last couple of months - which would be absolutely fine if I didn't have a business to run and a family to feed.  Just as well I love my sheep  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  :) 
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »
Hi Lizzie
Hope you got the message that I'd phoned to say how sorry I am to hear of your stressful time.  How are the girls today?  I haven't got anything to add as we've never used this vaccine but it sounds like you're having an awful time with it.  I know you use the same fantastic vets as we do so I really hope that they come up with a solution.  In the meantime I'm sure you're continuing with all the tlc and that will definitely be helping.
Post a quick update when you've got a moment.
Best wishes, Fiona

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »
Thank you Fiona. Yes I did get the message thank you and thank you too for fellow sheep owners empathy.  It helps  :)

The ewes have finally picked up, which is good - but one lamb is still running a fever (41c today)and anti-biotics and Metacam don't seem to be bringing it down - yet.  The vet says I can't do anymore at the moment.   The head vet at the Footvax manufacturers hasn't come up with any magic solutions either - though that doesn't surprise me massively.  I suppose I shall just have to hope that the infection runs it's course and the lamb fights it off by herself before too long.  I'm glad for her sake that the outside temperature is dropping tomorrow. The vet also suggested that we shear a stripe down her back to help keep her cooler - a sort of reverse Mohican! 

She looks so pathetic - like Eeyore on a really, really bad day. Ears down, head down with the world-weariest walk I have ever seen.  She looked slightly brighter this evening perhaps. Fingers crossed and I will keep you posted. She's very beautiful - a photo from the week before attached. Her name is Ursa (little bear)   :fc:

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:53 am »
Morning Lizzie.  So pleased to hear the older sheep are doing better but sorry about the lamb.  It's just hit her little system that much harder I guess.  Maybe you could use whatever temperature lowering treatments you'd use on a baby.  Cold flannel and calpol? 
She must feel absolutely rotten and it will be so sad to see - poor little thing.  But as you say, you just need the infection to run its course and I'm sure she's strong enough to fight it off.  Lots of nice little treats from your shop!  Lovely photo and nice name.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Footvax/Listeriosis
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »
The head vet at the manufacturers of Footvax are discounting the vaccine as a cause - so I have to accept their far-superior knowledge.  I got my vet to agree that, in the absence of a firm diagnosis (no symptoms apart from high fever and clearly very unwell), we change the anti-biotic to Penstrep and give a 5 day course.  Although the lamb is not showing all the classic signs of listeriosis - it is a best guess.  We extended their grazing a fortnight ago and the mole activity in this area is higher than their previous range.  Moles can carry listeria - and there is something about the lamb's head carriage that makes me think it could be.  After initial Penstrep, her temperature has dropped significantly - and although she still looks at death's door, maybe we are on the right track?  This evening another lamb was looking sad and tucked up with a slight head-tilt - so maybe the listeriosis theory could be right. She has a fever so I have waded straight in with the Penstrep for her too.

If anyone has any experience of lambs with listeriosis I'd be grateful for any info they can give me.  If we return the lambs and ewes to the smaller area of the field - are they then shedding listeria onto the grazing area?  I kind of feel I can't ask the poor vet anymore questions so am looking for help.  If they recover from this, will they have sufficient immunity to cope with the bacteria in the soil?  Do I need to treat them all with Penstrep and move them somewhere else for a while?

Sorry to go on - but to watch these lambs ailing and not know what from has been heart-breaking for us.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:02:51 pm by bizzielizzie66 »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:24 pm »
Ok so assuming it wasn't Footvax and is listeria there is a 30 percent average chance of survival in sheep. Don't worry about them shedding it as such, it is just out there in the soil etc. I would watch closely for other cases but wouldn't treat on the off chance. Have you had any die yet? If/when then arrange a PM asap as this may give a definitive answer and save some/all of the others. Until/if this happens hammer the PenStrep in

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 08:12:34 pm »
With listeria you nearly always you can see deviation of the muzzle and drooping of one eyelid, these signs are very subtle in sheep as they have little in the way of muscle for facial expression so look closely 

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 09:26:56 pm »
Thank you, I will keep you posted and everything crossed and will be looking very hard for facial signs.

Village Green

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »
I've just been looking into reactions to footvax as we're having some serious problems with our ewes (unprecedented) and  was wondering if it was just a coincidence that we used footvax for the first time last week. We've lost one ewe already after signs of "depression", not eating and then unable to stand. Now 2 days later there are another 2 showing the same sypmtoms, one of which I'm not confident will survive (very staggery and legs keep giving way). She will eat out of the hand if you push some lucerne nuts up to her mouth but that's about it.

There are no noticeable signs of lesions at the injection sites (we used sterimatic system to prevent this) just the general malaise which is still evident in several animals. I'm not suggesting it was the footvax but I can't work out what else it may be.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »
I suggest contacting your vet if you've nothing else in mind for what might cause it.  If sheep have been stressed in some way this can sometimes depress their immune systems and cause a worse reaction or a latent infection to flare up.Hot, humid weather, chased by dogs, shearing ....?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
Where were the sheep injected? I find it suprising how many shepherds inject vaccine that are supposed to be under the skin wrongly.  It seems common place to just jag it in without lifting a flap of skin, as a result its often too deep going into the muscle layers where you will see more sideeffects. I've also seen reactions tracking into the spinal cord from injections in the neck, plus injections made into the chest & abdomen.
Also had the vaccine been kept properly? 2-8C

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS