Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of Suffolks?  (Read 4036 times)

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
Price of Suffolks?
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info on the price of Pedigree Suffolks? Looking to buy my first few sheep and got maybe £500? Also would there be any in the sales at the moment and would they be majority ewes, or lambs or mixture?
Grateful for any info to help a young budding shepherdess out!  ;D  :sheep:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Price of Suffolks?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »
To be honest you can pay 500 for an average ewe alone! Do you have to have pedigree? It's very expensive!!

Also personally I wouldnt buy from a sale, go on farm and you can see there set up, there stock and most importantly ask questions!

I would avoid shown sheep ESP with suffolks as they can be in the habit of over feeding, speak to the breed society and they can pass details of breeders on :)

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:48:36 pm »
Oh...bugger! Don't have to but was hoping to possibly show? Maybe get some crosses, build up a bit of income, then start showing some nice pedigree?
Have got the number of a guy with a pedigree flock is was going to see, but wanted to get a rough estimate so I don't fall over when he tells me the price!
Thanks for your help :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
A few thoughts -

I wouldn't personally bother with pedigree sheep, in general only a very small number of breeders make decent money from them, it's hard to break into. They are over priced, over fed and over pampered. . . . like most pedigree animals.

What I would be looking for were either a few ewe lambs or older ewes (because they are usually the cheapest), or a mix, from a flock that breeds for traits like ease of lambing, good feet, grow well in a grass based system etc.

I'd then use a tup from similar type of flock, keep all ewe lambs and sell the males to get a little cash back (not a huge amount).

I'd then do the same for a few years to build the flock, maybe buying in a few more ewe lambs as you go.

When starting a flock its all out goings unfortunately.

Mind you if I had £500 to spend on sheep i've spotted something on here that would be very tempting!

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »
Thanks, that looks exactly like my plan at the moment, that was Plan B were pedigrees not viable, which they obviously aren't!
Will there be any farms that are up to sell good quality lleyns? They are my Plan B sheep, any views?
Oooh do share!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »
Oh...bugger! Don't have to but was hoping to possibly show?

Remember that not all of your flock needs to be up to show standard for you to enjoy showing the one or two that are......
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:22 pm »
that's a really good point, thanks :) even if i just had a couple of 'prized-ewes' that i'd spent a bit more money on they could still run with the rest of the flock!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »
The thing with ped sheep is you are selling them based upon your name, and your showing criteria and history etc.. . . . . . . it's not something that happens over night. But if it's something you are passionate about them crack on, but maybe not the easiest introduction to sheep!

LLeyns are very popular - and in certain parts of the country are a real 'go to' breed, they make a good maternal sheep. I personally don't run them, but know those that do, and they are very happy. They are also not too expensive.

I personally find that the system that works for me (and many others) is to establish a maternal flock, focussing on hardiness, ease of lambing, milkiness, etc etc etc. Aiming to get a ewe that is minimal hassle, will lamb outside, doesn't break too much, and can rear a good set of twins (her own bodyweight in lamb) on a grass based system.

I (and most others) them put a terminal sire to that maternal flock, so usually one of the continental breeds, or one of our meatier home breeds, in order to produce fast growing, heavy weight, good conformation butchers lambs. This also takes advantage of the hybrid vigour. The breed of terminal sire is probably less important than the kind of system and flock it comes from - i.e I wouldn't use a show type suffolk if you paid me! But would seriously consider one of the imported NZ Suffolk, same with the Texels, don't like them, but the NZ Texel is an interesting prospect!

Then when it comes to breeding replacements for your flock, I would use a maternal sire over the best ewes, and keep back any ewe lambs. So if you were using lleyns as your maternal flock, you would stick a lleyn ram over your best ewes, and keep back the ewe lambs to add to your flock.

Also, I know many, who lamb all ewe lambs to a maternal sire for their first year as in general they are easier lambed then the terminal breeds.

Eventually you aim to have three standards of ewes. The very best are in your replacement breeding flock, the worst (or those who have fallen below your set standard for some reason) have been sent to market and everything in between is in your flock put to a terminal sire (your cash flock).

As for what I would spend my money on - and i'm not sure how wise it'd be, but i've got a hankering to try - I was looking at a small flock of shetland ewes being sold with their lambs. I've mused about buying them, putting all of the males in the freezer and then putting them to a small terminal sire (i.e a Charmoise) and letting them get on with it outside. Then in a couple of years (or maybe next year) stick a shedder over them. Hill sheep should lose their coats pretty quick. But thats just me and i'm odd.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
Good to hear some positive advice on a breed that you don't have! Most people seem to be very close-minded on their own breed and everything else is a problem breed!  :thumbsup:
The 3 Standard term is the best way I've heard anyone put it, very clear and makes perfect sense, definitely what I want to aim for!
You've been so so helpful thanks! Feeling a bit more positive now!  :D

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
where abouts are you?

You could always go and see this breeder and get an idea :)

I've got some ewe lambs I was planning on keeping and selling as shearlings but I wouldn't mind selling if your in the area  :innocent:

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »
Rutland/Lincolnshire border? Lleyns?  :fc:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:49:27 am »
Ah Shame your a good few miles away as I'm in the south east. I've got some Suffolk crosses and a couple lleyn crosses and a couple purebred Suffolk ram lambs that I inherited.

You are more than welcome to come and view and I know a few people who might deliver if you don't have transport :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS