Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Footvax  (Read 15009 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Footvax
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »
What kind of reactions have people noticed in their sheep when using footvax - other than the lumps ?  Not liking this vaccine!!  :(
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Footvax
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:40:24 am »
The best place to look for drug reactions is the data sheet supplied with all animal medicines. If you notice any that are not listed contact your vet who will report it.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:30:50 am »
horrible massive pus filled lumps :-(
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:39 am »
Oh, probably dirty needles or dirty fleeces, less likely contamination of the bottle itself/the contents with dirty needles etc. Were the sheep wet when you did it?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:14:42 am »
We only had to Footvax once, did it in in April - moved them onto clean grazing, checked the feet after 16 days and moved them onto new clean grazing, haven't seen footrot for 7 years (run a virtually closed flock).  I used a separate, sterilised needle for each sheep, did them dry and have a good vaccination technique (according to my vet) but we found some of the tegs - maybe because they were thinner skinned, with less subcutaneous fat - had big lumps after a couple of days, which they then tried to rub on fenceposts and branches, so we had to gather them every couple of days for about three weeks and spray the sores with a/b spray to keep the flies away.  If I ever needed to do it again I'd wait until the end of the fly season.  The vaccine is too thick!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:36 am »
I used a separate, sterilised needle for each sheep
Fair play to you - thats a lot of needles

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »
Oh, probably dirty needles or dirty fleeces, less likely contamination of the bottle itself/the contents with dirty needles etc. Were the sheep wet when you did it?
Sterile needles and syringes I always use a fresh sterile needle and syringe no matter what I'm doing. It was a damp day.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »
You can't always avoid it, but injecting through a damp fleece does increase the likelihood of abscess formation - just do your best

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
I only used the vaccine  as my cotentin ewe had a foot problem. Fortunately the Ouessants don't and the old ewe has long since gone to her maker. I wouldn't use the vaccine ever again.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »
Its a very effective vaccine vs footrot so don't write it off, it does have some side effects much more serious than the abscess formation when combined with Cydectin LA (scab treatment/preventative).
Neurological signs inc. salivation, circling, anorexia and general depression. These go after 48 hrs but if the ewes are nursing twins at the time then mastitis can set in and they can lose an udder so beware of this if you have used Footvax in the past - strange but true   

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »
Its the adjuvant  and oil in it that gives the unpleasant lumps and swellings. The antigens have to be slow released so that's why they mix it with the adjuvant. Don't what ever you do inject you self with it, can give a very nasty reaction. A friend of mine injected herself with something similar we use in research and her arm blew up to twice its size.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 04:48:05 pm »
But she didn't get footrot?

From data sheet:

Occasionally, however, these swellings may be large, painful and unsightly, with the formation of abscesses which may burst and discharge, particularly if any contaminating skin bacteria are introduced at the time of injection
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:55:13 pm by Me »

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 06:33:40 pm »
Sorry - have been at work all day. Thank you for your replies. Because I don't really like this vaccine, I read the data sheet MORE than thoroughly beforehand, we used a clean needle per sheep and used it on dry sheep that had been shorn. All precautions, recommendations etc were followed to the letter. Anyway, I am not talking about infection at the site or lumps. 

The "general depression" set in at 48 hours and is continuing at 96 hrs.  When we turned the worst affected ewe last night to inject her with some Metacam to try and make her feel a bit better, her udder was showing signs of a rash. Gave her anti-biotics too after speaking to the vet.  General depression doesn't begin to cover their behaviour!!.  All but 2 have picked up to some degree but even they are still not "right". The other two I half-expected to find dead this morning at first light but one has picked up quite well but the other still looks pretty sorry.   I spoke to the vet about it last night.   Never, never will I use it again!  I had picked up the warning about Cydectin injection (which I think should be in LARGE TYPE)- but that's not involved in my sheeps' case.  Vet says they are coming tomorrow if no improvement.  I had such trouble with foot rot this year right through from Sept - May, but I shall be foot-bathing only in future. I know it's one of those things - some sheep react more than others and perhaps my sheep have been unlucky - but I will never use it again. I have been worried sick.
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:34 pm »
You will struggle to control footrot with bathing alone, why not ask your vet to inject the lot with Micotil once your lambs have gone for the year?

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:35:37 pm »
Thank you. I will talk to my vet. A good suggestion  :)

And the mastitis info was also very interesting - and worrying!

My shearer, who is expert at everything, did the vaccination for me this time, as I wussed out after last time. You just never know what is round the corner with sheep - even if you think you've got everything covered!  :(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:50:30 am by bizzielizzie66 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS