Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny teats  (Read 32373 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Tiny teats
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:57 pm »
our Daisy is a radio 2 fan for milking so will try getting them used to the buzzing of the machine for a few days and handle her udder at the same time, then progress to the machine  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »
Radio 2 for mine here too.... except I always have to turn it off between 12 and 2, which is when I do the lunchtime slot...can't stand J Vine.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:08 am »
Radio 2 goes on in our house as soon as OH goes downstairs so milking time gives me a break from it. He switches to Radio 4 at 7pm then, after the Archers, onto Radio 4 Extra. Drives me mad at times.

PS I do like Jeremy Vine.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:32 am »
I pefer Jeremy Vine to Vanessa Feltz, I just can't take that woman seriously
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 08:13:28 am »
I can't listen to Radio 2 at all, my mother subjected me to years of Terry Wogan and Ken Bruce when I was a child - I see it as some sort of punishment now (my loss, I'm sure)  Its Touch FM here while I'm working in the soap kitchen and ipod when i'm in the goat fields  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:45 pm »
I grew into Radio 2 when I met OH. I like a lot on Radio 4 as well and I do enjoy the old sitcoms such as Steptoe and Son on Radio 4 extra.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:34 am »
How about letting her suckle for 1 year and milking her the next?
hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »
How about letting her suckle for 1 year and milking her the next?
hope this helps

Letting kids suckle will almost certainly make her into a fidgety milker, and not necessarily increase the size of the teats. That is my experience....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »
I need to get some milk from her as both my goats are feeding the kids so the yield is down.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:50 pm »
The Dansha milker arrived today - I didn't expect it to go well with my goat but I went out with bucket of feed, popped one suction cap on and she didn't flinch! popped other one on, she just carried on munching.
The noise didn't bother her at all and my wrists don't hurt for the first time in ages after milking time!  thank you so much for recommending this!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »
The Dansha milker arrived today - I didn't expect it to go well with my goat but I went out with bucket of feed, popped one suction cap on and she didn't flinch! popped other one on, she just carried on munching.
The noise didn't bother her at all and my wrists don't hurt for the first time in ages after milking time!  thank you so much for recommending this!!

Brilliant!  :thumbsup:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
they are good aren't they? Also cuts the amount of feed I'm having to use to keep them entertained and its so much quicker for me than by hand and they get it over and done with and out to field  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »
I think as I get more confident using it (ie. get better at putting the cups on!) we will have a greater yield. Her udder wasn't stripped out but no more was coming through the machine so I might have to finish the milking by hand? or use the mans tips of holding the udder to do so, but its practise I guess. I was dreading the goat freaking at the noise but she was by far less kicky with this on than she has been with me milking by hand some days.  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:38 pm »
I'm looking forward to mine arriving - tomorrow, I hope. Cloud is settling down well to being milked but it will take an age when the kids are no longer on her as I have to milk with finger and thumb on both hands for each teat. It hurts my thumbs as well and the rate is very slow.

Glad you're so pleased with yours, Plums.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:32 am »
It's arrived.  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:  All I have to do now is to work out how to change the teat cups that are on there for the smaller ones.  I've tried switching it on near the goats and they jumped a bit, so I'll do that a few times before trying it inside. Once they've stopped jumping a mile, I'll use it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS