Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny teats  (Read 32431 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Tiny teats
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
I suspect its because we've bought quite a lot of stuff from him over the last year so he's keeping us sweet MGofM
maybe we could do a deal with him and quote TAS for future purchases  :-J
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »
Sounds like an idea.  ;D

Email today to say it's been dispatched.  :excited:

Ironically, tonight I actually managed to get more than a dribble out of her and on BOTH sides. Not much more than a dribble admittedly but it's progress. She's even getting up on the milking bench straight away now that she realises she gets sweeties once she's up. Ok, she tries to get back down as soon as she's eaten them but we can usually prevent that. Soon be down to just OH and me managing without friend.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:20 pm »
Glad you're making some small progress.

I had a milk shower this morning when one of my first-timers decided to get fidgety and I didn't move the bucket quick enough. ::)
She's got two holes in one of her teats so milking is proving a bit messy at the moment.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 10:57:25 pm »
 :roflanim:

That must be fun trying to aim two streams of milk into the bucket from one side. It can be hard enough getting it to go straight at the best of times.

I had one mishap once when I was showing a friend and her young son how milking was done. My friend was wearing a very, very short skirt and was squatting to get a better view, when the milk suddenly shot off at an angle and went straight up her skirt and giving her wet knickers.  :roflanim:  Her son thought it was hilarious and so did I.

She never asked to watch again.  :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
I was giving some school children a demonstration once. So that they could see better, I stood up and bent forward to squeeze vanna's teats, unfortunately as I did so my bum touched the electric fence giving me a huge shock up the bum  which carried through the goats udder and she kicked the bucket over and I said a 'bad word'. never again.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:19 am »
did you end it with...."and thats what you don't do boys and girls"   :roflanim:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
I was giving some school children a demonstration once. So that they could see better, I stood up and bent forward to squeeze vanna's teats, unfortunately as I did so my bum touched the electric fence giving me a huge shock up the bum  which carried through the goats udder and she kicked the bucket over and I said a 'bad word'. never again.

This made my morning  :roflanim:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 01:45:15 pm »

This made my morning  :roflanim:

Just spluttered my tea everywhere. :roflanim:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 06:28:45 pm »
Lol. Love it!! Thing's to look forward to ...
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 11:03:25 pm »
Oh the joys of goat keeping and, even more, the joys of demonstrating milking.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 12:36:15 am »
our new 20ml syringes arrived today so hooked them up and off we went  :excited:

but despite having milk in the udder, she wouldn't let the milk down. as soon as we took the syringe off I could get some out using a finger and thumb. She and her sister are first timers so I suppose it will be a case of getting them into the routine so they knows whats happening. I think we were spoilt with big Daisy and her massive teats and laidback attitude

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 07:47:26 am »
Do you find that the noise of the Dansha machine puts the goat off/makes her more kicky?  Mines not arrived yet but it was something I noticed on the youtube clip on ebay that it sounds a bit noisy?
(I tried playing music to savannah on my ipod during milking time and you'd have thought it was 1 Direction the way she kicked off. She wasn't too bad with Bruno Marrs and gary Barlow but opera is completely ruled out too.Hence my concern about noises)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 08:59:16 am »
When I first got my milking machine I just ran it by itself in the goat shed - and yes to start with they completely went berserk in their pens, but it only took a few times of it being on that they didn't bat an eye lid. Then next step was to have it on while they were on the milking bench but still hand-milked, then after a few days I just put the clusters on and held onto the goat... it was fine after a few times.

Now as the machine is on regularly all the time my 1st kidders are not disturbed by it at all, although still a bit of kicking when they are put on the first few times. But I have found it easier to start off milking them on the machine rather than by hand - it leaves both hands free to steady the goat and make sure she doesn't kick the clusters off. They normally settle quite quickly into a routine. Also putting the clusters on from the back (as they would in a commercial milking parlour) means they can't kick them off as easily.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
Brilliant advice, thank you Anke.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:35 pm »
Thanks for that, Anke. I'll try that with mine, although I'll have to put the clusters on from the side as the milking bench is in a corner and I can't get behind her. I'm still trying to get some out off her with one finger and my thumb, without much success but it's getting her used to being handled there. She's fine while she has food in her bucket but she can empty a bucket in seconds flat. You'd think she'd never been fed the way she dives into it. I swear she is half Saanen half Labrador.  ;)

Getting  :excited: about my milking machine now.  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS