Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny teats  (Read 32449 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Tiny teats
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 07:22:52 am »
You will love it!! Used it again yesterday, this time I made sure there was extra gravity (ie the jar was much, much lower than the udder) it was even faster.  Milking was over really quickly and no pain in the wrist  :love:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:13 pm »
You're right. I tried buzzing it near her while I was milking and she was fine so I put the cups on (the large ones because I still haven't managed to be able to swap them) and she didn't seem to mind. TBH that goat wouldn't notice if her tail was on fire once she's got her nose in a bucket of food. It's not flowing very fast though and I can't get the jar any lower than it is already so I haven't managed to get much. I think it might be better with the smaller cups. Just waiting for a reply email from the senders re how to change them.

Pom's yield has halved now and I think she's feeding the babies more.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 06:38:09 am »
I split the kids and mums last night so its been a noisy night  :tired:

MGoM....if your milker is like mine you have 2 syringes one on each end of the tube? Can you not just pull them out and push in the smaller ones?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
The small syringes come complete with their own tubes and it looks as if I should simply be able to pull the tube off the top of the jar and replace it but it won't come off.

I'm not getting much out of her despite her udder being rock hard. I hope the smaller cups will work better.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 03:10:18 pm »
sorry MGoM maybe I'm not understanding you but can't you just swap the syringes round keeping the same tube?

they are really hard to take off at the jar the first couple of times but the tubing stretches in hot water
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 06:20:58 pm »
Same problem, FRH. They are fitted so tightly that I can't get them off. Bearing in mind that my hands don't work too well, I asked my OH to do it and he can't either. I did wonder about hot water but wanted to wait until I'd heard back from the seller in case that would damage the seal on the jar lid.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »
it shouldn't, my OH had to get ours off, the seal on the lid is dental cement so is pretty tough stuff. I rinse all my tubes and lids in boiling water after sterilising so won't do any harm

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
Thanks. I'll try that.

Does the motor for yours run continuously? I know you stop holding the button down while the milk is flowing but mine sometimes takes a while before it will start again and I'm pressing the button and releasing several times. I'm not sure if that's a fault with the machine or my goat.

I think the kids are now feeding solely off Pom as they can't get any from Cloud. Her udder is rock hard, quite warm but not hot and it's impossible to get more than a small amount of milk from her even with the machine. She is a first-time milker.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 08:28:40 pm »
If she rfuses to let down give her a small shot of oxytocin, it works wonders. :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »
I find my pump stops or sounds deeper when the pressure is getting too much. The hand vacuum pump has a pressure gauge on it which was really useful but the battery pumps don't, might ask OH if we can put one on?
I'm finding Willow, also a first time milker giving more each day as she gets used to it all, took me weeks to even persuade her to get in the milking stand but now the kids are off her at night she's glad to offload some I think

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:04 pm »
WBF, what is oxytocin and where do I get it? She starts to let down and I get up to a quarter of a pint and then it all stops.

FRH, that might be the problem. I think the pressure does build up. How long do you hold the button down?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »
just until I get a decent flow of milk, when it slows down I press the button again. If she starts to look too red and could be sore I take them off, I don't want to strip her out anyway as she is still feeding kids.
Daisy on the other hand has the big 60ml cups and once she gets empty you lose the pressure anyway as her teats shrink back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:26 am »
I'm using the big teat cups atm and that might be the problem. I think some udder is getting sucked in with the teat and that might be uncomfortable. I'll sort the small ones tomorrow.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 10:31:57 am »
All good vets sell it in bottles, so ask your local vet. When the buffaloes are troublesome in letting down we give them a shot of oxy and it usually works.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Talk to the vet if she thinks oxytocin would help she can give you just a syringe full.  It's a hormone usually given after kidding to help milk let down in any mammal.

If Cloud's udder is already very full and tight I'd be careful of giving something that will encourage more milk until you're sure you can draw it off.
I had oxytocin for an angora with mastitis last year it didn't help and maybe made it worse.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS