Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anything else I can do for this Soay?  (Read 16220 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Anything else I can do for this Soay?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »
My yardstick on whether or not to call in the knackerman is what the sheep's quality of life is like.

+ 1

All too often we can try to be kind but just end up prolonging the agony

+2 I think when the time comes that any animal cannot get up and is down for a prolonged period of time its quality of life is zero and it may be time to call it a day :bouquet:

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:25 am »
 :wave: i would guess johnes to . when i had soays i always found that if they were ill enough that you could catch them then they were goin to die anyway,mine were nuts .best of luck, but sounds like the end is neigh 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:19 am »
Yes langfauld, my human/soay relationship has become intense this past week, quite different from before when she would get within 1 metre of me and that was it (just not quite as far as the bucket!).

However, just been in and gave her some water with molasses drink and then was feeding grass in - she took it as before but is too weak to chew it, flushed a bit more water so she could swallow but her eyes are half shut and dulled over I can see and it looks like that's it really.

I gave her a kiss (ok ok) and a pat and I've left her to die.  I won't check on her again until tonight so as not to disturb her.

I think perhaps it is Johne's disease in which case she may have come to me with it.  My worry is that there was something left in the ground from the sheep here when we came.  All our sheep may be contaminated so I'm going to investigate more and have tests done if not too expensive, will google and read more on the subject first.

Thanks all, great support as ever.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:22:38 am »
Sometimes shepherding is a tough one.  If it is Johnes it's quite likely she was infected when she came to you.  Research still in progress on the routes of infection and likelihood of other animals in the flock/herd being carriers.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 10:09:51 am »
simple annual blood tests (you can take the samples yourself) will help you build up a picture of what diseases linger on your farm/in your stock
Just test a few older ewes ---I do Johnes/Fluke/MV/Border/etc

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 10:42:56 am »
that's a good idea Tim, we'll be rounding them up for shearing soon so will do it then, thanks for that.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 11:33:28 am »
Who do you do that through then Tim? The PSGHS weren't happy for me to sample and submit my own flock for MV I had to pay another vet to do it.
Assuming she does go toes up in the end organising a post-mortem is likely to give you a lot more information that may help save others
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:35:25 am by Me »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:55 am »
Would it not be kinder to arrange for the end of her life to be swift and not lingering any more than she already has done? She will be dying of dehydration? starvation?  :(
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:00 pm »
Agree with Kanisha, just put her out of her misery, you have done everything you could  :hug:
Respect, some people wouldnt have done that much.  :bouquet:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 12:50:38 pm »
She could have scrapie, have your sheep been tested for scrapie? My advice is get her off the pasture and keep her off it, then maybe isolate her from the others and treat the pasture. Then watch her and see if she gets better.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »
Who do you do that through then Tim? The PSGHS weren't happy for me to sample and submit my own flock for MV I had to pay another vet to do it.
Assuming she does go toes up in the end organising a post-mortem is likely to give you a lot more information that may help save others

I test a portion of the flock every year (old and skanky ewes) so that I know the disease profile of my sheep . This keeps me abreast of what problems I have and gives my customers some confidence in the health status of the animals they buy from me
For inclusion in a health scheme a vet has to do the testing but otherwise anyone can do it

MV accreditation scheme gives something like 96% certainty that you are free of the disease whereas screening the oldest/worst condition sheep gives 75% certainty and is a lot cheaper (figures are rough as I can't remember exactly )

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 05:37:14 pm »
Does sound a bit like Johnes... should ask the vet

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 01:45:30 am »
Such a sad post. Goodness you've tried really hard with this girl. Sometimes it is just a labour of love and you get that satisfaction of all that love and care eventually. This doesn't sound like one of those times for your poor little mite. I'd get a PM just to be sure that the rest of the flock aren't at risk. I so hope she proves to be your miracle and really feel for you  :hug:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 08:46:15 am »
Thanks all, yes she died of course poor wee thing, had to wait until I got my new computer to reply (old one died yesterday - computer that is).  Sure it's Johne's disease so now wondering if I have put our new lambs at risk, am going to get them on fresh ground just in case and do some test as suggested.  Thanks all.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 08:49:46 am »
Aww, very sad  :bouquet:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS