Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken attacked by dog!  (Read 8437 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Chicken attacked by dog!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »
She had Terramycin spray which is blue.  When you say purple spray are you meaning Gentian Violet?  I've got that so I can give her another spray tomorrow - the Terramycin was borrowed.

The reaction from you guys is totally opposite to what I expected - I thought everyone would say cull her immediately and put her out of her misery!  Now I'm wondering if I've been too hasty to cull in the past!  I feel guilty if I cull and guilty if I don't - its not easy owning animals is it!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 08:38:56 pm »
don't doubt yourself. its were the bits are thats worth trying. its able to stand so no spinal damage or major leg damage. if it was the crop or throat or chest then it would be worse. if you feel it needs to die then do it. but this one sounds like its been lucky. just don't call it that. it will die if you do.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:10 pm »
Mmm sounds familiar!  Day before yesterday I said to my OH that the Aga desperately needs a service, last night it died!!!  We don't have a microwave, toaster, normal cooker, kettle or anything!  Argh!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
This morning the poorly hen came outside - she definitely looks like she is going to live.  She is putting wieght on her leg, but spends most of her time sitting down.  I sprayed Gentian Violet on her wounds and then left her to it.  I expected that hwen I went to shut the hens in tonight she would still be outside and I would habe to carry her in, but she was in and perching!  Its all looking very promising.

As for the Aga, its fixed, but since they take so long to heat up it took over an hour to cook sausages, eggs and bacon for tea!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 08:48:11 pm »
Forgot to ask re your aga. Glad you can eat now!
Good to hear mrs hen doing well, she sounds like a fighter
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:54 pm »
Damn I found the chicken dead today - gutting!  My neighbour also forgot to put his dog on the lead this morning and she killed another hen.  Poor John was really shaken up and upset.  We have rejigged the fencing so they can't get through, but they can still jump over.  Hopefully they will be put off trying to escape from the field.  As my 6 year old said "They're never going to learn their lesson if they keep dying!"

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
Aww, bless him!
What a b*gger for you all, Poor hens.
 Hope the fencing does the job :chook:
Little Blue

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »
 :'( :'( Oh Mini - I'm so sorry for you... after all that...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »
sorry about your hen, and your neigbhour really needs to make sure the dog is on a lead.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:57:57 pm »
My hens were jumping the solid wooden fence - two jumped down the other side and one of my own dogs killed them.  My three Brittany's have all retrieved ducks and hens to hand with no harm done but Hester's a killer.  I've added one foot of wiggly unsupported chicken wire to the top of the fence and they don't try to jump onto that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS