Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken attacked by dog!  (Read 8452 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Chicken attacked by dog!
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »
Since getting my 20 new hens a few months ago they have become more and more free-range - in the garden, up the bridle path and more recently down the lane.  Yesterday on of my best looking Black Rocks took herself off down the lane foraging with a pheasant.  She got attacked by my nieghbours dog and ran back up the lane.  My neighbour caught her and put her in one of my arks.  She has one puncture wound on her back and one on the back of her leg.  In the past if one of my birds have been attacked its always been obvious whether it needs to be culled, but this one isn't so obvious.

She has had Terramycin spray on her wounds and has been put in a nest box with food and water nearby.  So far she is still alive and brigh, but staying in the nest box.  I hope to God I have made the right decision by not culling and giving her a chance - its constantly on my mind - have I done the right thing?  Should I have culled her?

Please all keep your fingers crossed for her and for me as I'll feel so so guilty if she doesn't pull through. :'(

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Chicken attacked by dog!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:38:26 pm »
can she walk. keep up the spraying and watch for infection.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:41:33 pm »
Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery. At least you have given her every chance. Good luck.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:01:11 pm »
She can walk, nothing is broken except the skin.  I think I will have to make a decision tomorrow - if she is no better and has alot of heat on her leg and back then I'm going to call it a day.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:43 pm »
It's a horrible thing to happen,
 i lost one of my black rocks to our own dog about 6 months ago, i  felt seriously bad as it was me that forgot to lock the kennel,
 fingers crossed for you
i know how it feels

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:32 pm »
i would give her longer than that. by the way a dose of antibiotics and pain killer would cost about 4-5 quid  if she is still alive give her a chance if that does not cure it then cull but deaths a bit quick yet.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:45 am »
I'd give her a bit longer. Doesn't sound like she's suffering, if she's bright. Maybe tempt her with some good things to eat. Your vet might give you an injectable antibiotic - it's not thta expensive.

Fingers crossed

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:31:17 am »
Logging in from Wales on me hols!  No give her a bit longer, unless she goes downhill, then you'd have to put her out of her misery.  But if she's not in that misery yet just leave her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:48:21 am »
I would give her more time and talk to the vet.  :chook:

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 12:30:35 pm »
Would agree with the others, we had one (light sussex) attacked by a fox resulting in a large puncture wound on her back.  We sprayed with the sheeps purple spray (it was the only thing to hand at the time), and kept her separate for a time.  She was very quiet, but would say she was bound to be - think we'd all be a bit under the weather with a large hole in our back - but is now recovered and laying well.  She did suffer from feather pecking when she was returned to the 'flock' (2!), so you might want to watch for that.  Not sure whether it was malicious or the other hens trying to clean her, but it did keep making her bleed so it was a bit of a concern.
Purple spray took months to come off though!!

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 02:05:59 pm »
This happened to me last month - it's a horrible thing to have to deal with.  The worry at that time was that flies could get to the wounds, so the vet gave me an antiseptic salve with citronella in it, which is available over the counter - it's just called Vet Salve I think, and it's pink and sticky.  Did the job for my hens, and some of them had wounds you could stick your finger right into :( they are much better now though.  It is amazing what hens can recover from.  Black Rocks are a good hardy breed and your hen should recover well, I would think.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »
I have had them attacked by dogs, and be in a bad state, minus feathers, puncture marks.  A lot of the time they die because of stress due to the dog catching them.  I have been very lucky in that the ones still alive from the dog getting them, have pulled through.  It has taken them a few days before they get over the shock though.  I would give you hen a little more time, if she looks bright enough and not in too much pain.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:11 pm »
She's still alive!  She is still in the same nestbox and hasn't moved, but her eyes are still bright and her head is up and she's looking around.  As long as she doesn't get worse I'll just wait and see what happens.  Should I be concerned that she hasn't come out of the nest box?  Maybe she needs a few days in bed.  When should I take her out to see if she can walk?  I'm so pleased that she is hanging in there.  I am finding it harder and harder to cull with each one I do - I thought it would get easier the more I cull, but its getting so much harder - wierd huh?!

Anyway, will keep you posted.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 07:08:04 pm »
no. your not weird i have to be bullied into doing it.

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:01 pm »
Keep gping with the spray - it's amazing what they can recover from. I had one attacked by a fox in the spring. I found her with a chunk of skin missing from her breast prob about the size of 2 50 pence pieces. Kept her indoors with food and water, sprayed twice a day with purple spray. She was very quite for a about a week and then started to perk up a bit. The skin regrow over the next couple of months and feathers even grew on the new skin. She is now happy, healthy and laying! (Well happy when it isn't raining constantly!!!!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS