Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloody Idiot dog owners!  (Read 13252 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Bloody Idiot dog owners!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 02:59:44 am »
More legal rights are needed to be given to landowners with footpaths going through and over their land where help is not given by any footpath association or government body to fence adequetly the legal footpaths of the country.

Some people come once in a lifetime to the fields and think its  ok to walk with dogs that are 'under' their control and not on leads.

If your dog is 'controled' then show some respect and show others what to do - put them on leads when livestock is around

I dont think a dog should be killed for killing livestock - without other compounding evidence.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:08:21 am by bazzais »

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 07:02:30 am »
getting back to the original point and not a discussion on dogs in general. :thinking: ........

If they have house insurance it generally has a public liability cover which could be used to claim against.
most pet insurances have covers that don't generally come to mind, including public liability.(also kennelling costs if you are in hospital :thumbsup: ) however the dog owners do not have a legal requirement to give you those details .... so you may need to go along the small claims route.  I would suggest a letter to them, covering your damages, asking for payment or the details of their insurance to cover them suggesting those two options as they may not think of them, and stating you would be going down that the small claims route would be a starting point.  you may want to seek advice from CAB or a solicitor then (chargeable as part of the claim usually).

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 10:00:18 am »
Solicitors fees generally aren't covered in the small claims court so don't incur expenses that you will not be able to reclaim. Use the CAB.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »

Slight deviation

On BBC red button service today:

"Escaped Police dog sparks search.

Police had to mount a search for one of their own dogs after it escaped during a training exercise near Dundee.

Police Scotland officers were taking part in a training exercise at the Old Ashludie Hospital building in the Monifieth area in Tuesday when the black Labrador made its bid for freedom.

It was tracked down by an Angus council dog warden and taken to local kennels near Arbroath on Tuesday.

The force will pay for the recovery of the animal."

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »
does anyone know the law if the lambs have squeezed out of the fence and then attacked by a loose unsupervised dog?
just wondering as last year our neighbours were letting their dog out unsupervised and were letting it get into the nursery paddock infront of our kitchen window where we could supervise the tiny lambs/kids. when we told them to get the dog away before anyone was maimed as the nannies and ewes were already stressed- they called the cops on us - who were completely unsympatheteic to us, as no blood was drawn and they had seen a kid climb through the fence onto our private road. the seemed to think that we were in the wrong as the kid could escape the field (obviously it wont go far from its mother and its on my private road - 400m from a public road and supervised by myself from the house)

I daren't use this field anymore as unless the dog attacks and maims the animals then police don't care. I think prevention is better than cure so I want them to keep their dog out of my field before an incident happens.
iv no faith in the coppers here.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »
Shygirl,  as I understand it, they are required to keep their dog under control at all times.  Your lamb was on your land. 

Quite simply they are in the wrong.

I cannot understand the polices approach.. Are there other issues that are influencing their treatment of you ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:54:13 pm by stufe35 »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 08:14:36 pm »
Shygirl,  as I understand it, they are required to keep their dog under control at all times.  Your lamb was on your land. 

Quite simply they are in the wrong.

I cannot understand the polices approach.. Are there other issues that are influencing their treatment of you ?

the neighbours are snooty rich lying townie barstewards and the coppers had sat in their house for 90 mins before speaking to me. and had already made up their minds that I was in the wrong. their garden is completely open plan so there is no effort to contain a dog on their land at all and they are bang in the middle of my land.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:38 am »
 :wave:

Still no word from the dog owners, but I am sure once I send a recorded delivery letter to their house outlining the costs, I'll get a response.

On top of the damage to the ewe, the other pregnant ewe gave birth (I think a week or so early) in the middle of the night.  We found the lamb suffering from hypothermia first thing.  Fortunately, we managed to warm her up, get some feed into her and returned her to her mum, but it seemed touch and go for about 8 hours. 

There are some pictures of my calm greyhound Amy laying next to the lamb warming it up.

The bitten ewe doesn't seem to bad, still eating well and feeding her tubby twins.

I think it was lucky it happened as I was getting home and not in the middle of the night or both out at work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS