Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloody Idiot dog owners!  (Read 13228 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Bloody Idiot dog owners!
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:19:52 pm »
Hi all

Just had a dog attack.  First time anything like this has happened.

A husky "escaped" from their owner and got into our field.  I got home from work to see it in with them,  dropped everything and tried to catch the dog.  People on the foot path the other side of the hedge just watched and even video'd it.  The dog was grabbing at the hind quarters of my sheep (fortunately very woolly, but then went for the lambs.  At that point the mum started lunging at it and the dog grabbed her muzzle.  At that point a bystander came to help me get the dog off (as it refused to let go) and I dragged it into a lockable stable. 

Phoned the police (been 3 hours now and still nothing back), phoned the vet (who turned up quite quickly) and the dog owners turned up.  They didn't have any money to pay the vet bill and wanted the dog back as it has had puppies recently (they can afford them though....sorry, ranting  :rant: [size=78%]). [/size]

Sheep has an inch gash through the side of its face and a couple of other puncher wounds.  Weeks antibiotics and three days anti-inflammatories. 

Too stressed to eat.  Worrying that the other sheep are going to either lamb early or miscarry due to it all.  The ewe with twins is going to be a right pain to keep in so I can inject her (as she hated it just after she lambed early).

At least she is up and being noisy!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Bloody Idiot dog owners!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
Grrrrrrr, this makes me so mad!
You should have got something in writing saying they'll pay when they've sold the pups maybe?
Irresponsible and selfish of them

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:00 pm »
You had more self restrain than I probably would have - please persue - dog owners (I am one ) all have to know this is not acceptable, ever, not even once
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
Police rang, got the owners details, then rang me back to say that they are actually correct! 

Still think the chance of getting money is slim to non-existent, but must have put the wind up the owner having the police ring.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:57 pm »
Regardless of what owners say about not being able to pay, they are still responsible for the damage to your sheep and therefore liable as far as I know. You would have been in the right to shoot the dog while it was attacking the sheep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:31:48 pm »
If the police have an incident number and the dog owner has been traced and said it was his dog, there should be a criminal prosecution and so the dog owner has to pay for any damage (vet bills etc). If they refuse it could all go through the courts...I think the NSA is still collecting evidence of sheep worrying - worth checking their website.

If you have NFU insurance (including your livestock) you could speak to them and see if they would help in recovering costs or with legal advice.

Seems that Huskies are not getting a good press at the moment... but I always thought that they are not a particularly good breed to keep as a pet dog...

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »
my understanding is that a Husky is a beautiful yet challenging dog, only for the serious dog owner who knows what they are doing. I read somewhere once that you can take the husky out of the tundra but not the tundra out of the husky- destined to run, needing huge amounts of exercise and an avid chaser of anything furry- or in this case woolly .i'd have wanted to shoot the flippin thing though would probably have felt more like shooting the owners. Not got money to pay the vet bill ? so what happens if their dog or one of its pups needs the vet ? ridiculous idiots- bring back the dog licences I say and a meaningful way of checking that with the most challenging breeds there is some method of ensuring prospective owners are actually competent. sure none of this is practical but hearing about your incident cant help but leave me wishing it was. as others have said they should be paying for the damage their incompetence has caused.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:09:12 am »
 :bouquet:

It's horrible to go through this, and it makes you feel so vulnerable and powerless to look after your own livestock. 

Don't let the dog owners off the hook.  Take them through the small claims court if need be.

I don't know why it is suddenly apparently ok for dogs to chase sheep.  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:06 am »
Sorry but if that had been my sheep that dog would be toast!
I hope the police got the video evidence!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:44 am »
Sorry - have you given the dog back to them? Bloody dog. You would have been well within your rights to shoot it

dont let them get away with this

was the ewe in lamb?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:24 am »
Don't have a go at the dog.

No such thing as bad dogs......just bad owners.

Should have said 'bloody dog owners'

If it had been me and I'd had a gun I would have shot it.

Sounds like the owners got professional advice...have I understood correctly ?....are you saying you had to give the dog back because they said it has puppies at home relying on it ?  And the police said that is correct.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:42:51 am by stufe35 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:05 am »
The dog should be destroyed. To many excuses made for dangerous dogs. We had a pile of chooks killed and when I told the police I wanted the dog destroyed they said it would be a shame for the dog. Which it would be but what about the pile of dead hens? For hens, read sheep.

It's unfortunate that dogs suffer because they belong to idiot owners but that's the way of it.

And if we really want to control the idiot owners by some dog licence system, we'd better be prepared to destroy a lot of dogs or it will simply become an expensive and useless administrative exercise.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:20:18 am »
Sorry your flock have been subjected to such an attack, hope your ewe recovers quickly and the others don't lose their lambs. 
I would think the owners would be covered by their home insurance so it would probably be worth making a claim for vets costs, any further loses if the occur, your time looking after the injured ewe and stress caused etc.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
You can take something like this through the Small Claims Court, at minimal cost to yourself.  Huskies are not good pets, unless the owners train them properly and are willing to run them, in control, for 5 to 10 miles a day.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
This really isn't fair, you should never have had to be in this position  :(
I start chuntering every time I see a dog off it's leash. I think it's rank owner-arrogance to insist they have control and that a dog won't run off, disobey them, cross the road or do anything else they don't want it to do.
A dog has a mind of it's own and no matter how well behaved they are usually, any dog can have that moment of uncharacteristic behaviour that has this kind of devastating outcome.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS