Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just been to spinning class  (Read 19781 times)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
Re: Just been to spinning class
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »
Same here >:( Putting up sheep fences is a necessity, spinning a luxury. Next month the summer markets will begin -then I have time to spin again :excited:

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:46 am »
 Mad Goatwoman of Madely , just out of curiosity is your Traveller double drive ? I believe a few are.

Greenerlife  I'm interested to hear how you get on with the Zwartbles fleece, I have ordered one direct from the farmer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:31 am »
All Travellers are now double drive, and will do scotch tension too.  But a lot of the earlier ones were scotch tension only.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 01:32:07 pm »
Greenerlife  I'm interested to hear how you get on with the Zwartbles fleece, I have ordered one direct from the farmer.

I bought mine direct too (£6.50 - what a bargain). I am, as you can see a complete novice, but the fleece is massively different from the Southdown I have been spinning.  No doubt I am learning a lot.  The Zwartbles is really crimpy and much much more coarse, but also it does make carding much easier and the actual spinning is good on a drop spindle.  I can't imagine it would be easy to spin a fine wool, but that is good, because ideally I would prefer something a bit chunky.  I'll let you know when I have done some on my new Joy - I have it now - but it's still packed in its box!  (I really want open it now, but I have to go get feed and wash my chickens bottoms!  :roflanim: )
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:07:13 pm by Greenerlife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 04:41:14 pm »
Mad Goatwoman of Madely , just out of curiosity is your Traveller double drive ? I believe a few are.

It's Scotch tension. I've never used a double drive wheel. What difference does it make?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 10:05:44 am »
Well - my Joy has arrived just as my other half is away for a couple of days.  Spent hours and hours spinning my new Zwartbles fleece last night...I may not get away with that again... :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 11:00:18 am »
So I take it you are getting joy from your Joy  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »
Greenerlife  :thumbsup:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »
So I take it you are getting joy from your Joy  ;D

Weird because I wrote a reply and it has disappeared? 

Anyway the answer is yes - it has improved since the one I borrowed!  it has weird spring loops rather than hooks which are much easier to manage on the flywheel, but I think I understand it.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
Ok - got my first skein of washed, carded, spun wool, which I have just plied.  Should I now be washing it again to 'set' the ply before knitting?   (Really excited now - really, really really happy with how the Zwartbles has turned out)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:33 pm »
Ok - got my first skein of washed, carded, spun wool, which I have just plied.  Should I now be washing it again to 'set' the ply before knitting?   (Really excited now - really, really really happy with how the Zwartbles has turned out)

Glad you've enjoyed yourself and are happy with your yarn :)

Yes you should wash it now to set the twist.

Wash and rinse, gently squeeze the water out ; you can roll it in a towel and walk on that but do not wring, and/or spin it in a spin-dryer or salad spinner to assist drying.  I put the skein over my two arms and snap my arms apart very sharply a few times, then rotate it by 90 degrees and repeat.  Sometimes I thwack the skein against the wall.

Then hang it up to dry. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 07:23:30 am »
Some people weight their skeins when they are hanging up to dry. I never used to but have tried it recently and think I got a better yarn.

I weighted it with a bottle of kitchen/bathroom cleaner. One of those with a trigger gun as the trigger just fits nicely over the yarn.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
AndynJ - I do both types of spinning!   ;D

Many thanks Bionic - fingers crossed I am getting a niddy-noddy for my birthday next week - my skein is a bit short as I used my elbow to wind it!  I would wash it today, but it is tipping down with rain here today (and tomorrow  >:( )

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
AndynJ - I do both types of spinning!   ;D

Many thanks Bionic - fingers crossed I am getting a niddy-noddy for my birthday next week - my skein is a bit short as I used my elbow to wind it!  I would wash it today, but it is tipping down with rain here today (and tomorrow  >:( )

If you are desperate to wash it (I always am too) wash it then put it in a salad spinner if you have one. I then put it on a hanger over the bath. It doesn't take too long to dry.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2014, 11:45:29 am »
I usually roll the skein in a big towel and then squeeze by standing on it, then hang on the airer, and it drys quite quickly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS