Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just been to spinning class  (Read 19768 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Just been to spinning class
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 08:47:02 am »
Well done!   :trophy:   :excited: :spin: :knit:

Uneven and slubby is all the rage!  (And anyway, who wants it so regular people don't realise you spun it yourself!? ;))

But yes, knitting with two balls together, two rows from one then two rows from the other, will merge differences between the two skeins into a nice textured FO :)

We shall, of course, require pictures...  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:43 am »
I have some acid dyes, but would prefer to do natural.  I am going on yet another course about that!  :roflanim:   I so loved the mixed rainbow stuff somebody on here did - will have to look that up again! 

It's great that as a noobie, I can get all this support from you much more experienced spinners and dyers!  Thanks!   :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:56 am »
I am torn between acid and natural but the acid dyes are easier to use so generally I go for those.
If you feel like experimenting then injecting a water soaked ball of wool with different colours is fun.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:26 am »
I have my very firs hanks of wool that I HAVE SPUN!  How exciting is that?  Now just have to dye them and get knitting.

My other half is being very rude about them being uneven and a bit slubby, but I don't care.  (Although I am concerned that my second hank is much more even than my first!  :excited:  ). Perhaps I will have to knit it on alternate rows.

Or have featured more slubby parts as a textured band, say around the yoke and cuffs if it's a jumper, or the brim if it's a hat. :knit:

It's wonderful having your first skeins - well done.   :spin:

OHs who are scathing about what we produce should be sat down at the wheel and made to produce better, and to have to clean the toilets every day  :bunny:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 12:38:54 pm »
And a fun way to start is to use food dyes - dyeing with Kool Aid (a children's drink in the US) is a lot of fun :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 02:01:15 pm »
My other half is being very rude about them being uneven and a bit slubby
He'll be laughing on the other side of his face when you've got a gorgeous totally homemade and much admired jumper and he's cold next winter.  ;)

It's been great hearing about your progress, you've really inspired me. I'm still waiting for my promised semi-permanent loan wheel, but Sally, I'm abut to PM you about your spinning group now my beekeeping course is coming to a close...  :excited:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 02:21:02 pm »
Good point SBTRiver!  :roflanim:

I have borrowed an Ashford joy from my fleecemaster until next spinning group, and I am really enjoying it.  I have found that it is much easier to spin with my better-prepared rolags though!  Is there any difference between spinning with hand carded rolags and drum carded batts (and am I using the correct terminology?).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »
I'm a bit slapdash with my hand carded rolags so for me the batts work better as I tend to put the fleece through the carder several times.
If you do both properly I don't think you should find much differencfe.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:15 pm »
I have my very firs hanks of wool that I HAVE SPUN!  How exciting is that?  Now just have to dye them and get knitting.

My other half is being very rude about them being uneven and a bit slubby, but I don't care.  (Although I am concerned that my second hank is much more even than my first!  :excited:  ). Perhaps I will have to knit it on alternate rows.

Tell OH you were aiming for an ethnic look and ask him to demonstrate how to spin very even yarn.

I agree with SallyITN that it needs to look handspun or there's no point in spinning it.

FW love the idea of making OHs clean the toilet if they criticise. Unfortunately, my OH is very complimentary about my spinning so I have to clean them myself.  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
So excited - felt I had to share.  :hug:

Got a Zwartbles fleece yesterday, and washed it and started carding and, as my loan spinning machine has gone back ( :-[ ) I did some on a Turkish spindle.  Wow! What a difference it is to the Southdown I had before!  Really crimpy and coarse but flows like a dream and got to a decent (and even) thread.  Even more exciting - my new Ashford Joy will be with me next Tuesday!  :spin:  Woo hoo!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49:24 am »
I am jealous that you have an even thread already. I have been spinning for a couple of years now and mine is still hit and miss.
Good preparation really makes a difference though.
 :thumbsup: for next Tuesday

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 03:32:35 pm »
I am jealous that you have an even thread already. I have been spinning for a couple of years now and mine is still hit and miss.

Ha ha!  When I say 'even thread', what I really mean is 'more even than the slubby stuff I did before'  It's just a question of degree!  Haven't plied it yet but I think it will be knitable for what I want it for.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 04:47:29 am »
Mine, too, Sally. I just tell people I am aiming for the 'ethnic' look.  ;)

BTW, I am selling my Ashford Traveller as I don't really have space for two wheels and I prefer my Joy. I'm asking £200 which is what it cost me but it would have to be collected as it's too awkward a shape to post unless anyone has any ideas.'

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 11:49:12 pm »
Spinning group today. Sitting in the sun and spinning. Bliss.  :spin: :sunshine: ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 12:17:41 am »
I'm so busy in the veggie patch at this time of year I haven't had time to spin  :spin: :(  Also I'm nearing the end of a knitting project so am concentrating on that in the evenings.....AND I have to comb a whole load more fleece before I can spin it.  All excuses I know, but I would love to be sitting spinning in the garden in the lovely sunny weather we're having  :spin: :knit:  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS