Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just been to spinning class  (Read 19767 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Just been to spinning class
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »
Very very excited about buying a wheel now.  Itching to get going with my fleeces.  have to practice rolags and have a heap ready for when I get my wheel.

This is proving to be a most expensive hobby, all caused by my local shepherd giving me ten fleeces!  :roflanim:   

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: Just been to spinning class
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »
Now you know why the shepherd gave them away...  ;) On the plus side, you get to feel smug when you are sporting that lovely new, toasty warm jumper next winter.

Spinning's something I'd love to try, so I look forward to hearing how you get on (not least as it might help convince OH that sheep really are a good idea, he's nearly there, but a little more encouragement won't hurt  ;D).

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »
I am pretty sure that my shepherd doesn't even realise that wool comes from sheep!   ;D   I am going to surprise him with a knitted hat made from his sheep.  Thinking of getting an Ashford Joy wheel and I am really itching to get going.  Have made 20 or so rolags so far....

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »
 :roflanim: That wouldn't surprise me one bit!!

My sister-in-law spins and makes all sorts of weird and wonderful things from the result. Sadly she's not got time to teach me, but I'm learning all sorts of new things this year so you never know... definitely keep posting the progress, I've been reading all of TAS avidly!!  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:42:02 pm »
:roflanim: That wouldn't surprise me one bit!!

My sister-in-law spins and makes all sorts of weird and wonderful things from the result. Sadly she's not got time to teach me, but I'm learning all sorts of new things this year so you never know... definitely keep posting the progress, I've been reading all of TAS avidly!!  ;D

I go to a weekly spinning group at the reading room at Llansadwrn. It's near enough for you to get to. It's 2pm on Tuesdays and new members are always welcome. It only costs £1 too.

I don't currently have any broadband ( I am sending this from Ikea in Cardiff, while Geoff is at the Millenium stadium watching the rugby), been without it for over 3 weeks now and BT don't seem any nearer to sorting it out. So if you respond I won't be a let o see it for a while.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »
Ah, now, see, that's more temptation, you've really started something here Greenerlife!!  :D (In a good way, that is.)

Bionic, sorry to hear about your internet again, maybe I can ask you more about the group when you can access the net a bit more easily and I've finished my bee course (only a few weeks to go, but as I don't drive OH might take issue with being driven somewhere else at the moment!)...

Any more progress Greenerlife? Would you say it's an easy thing to pick up?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »
Be warned, spinning is seriously addictive! I am just teaching myself, having bought an at least third hand Ashford a Traditional wheel. I just love it, and have made my first item from some alpaca I spun and then knitted into a snood. I am now working on a throw for the bed, which will take some time but be worth it in the end.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:56:42 pm »
30 rolags.   :)

Seeing my spin master on Monday to talk wheels....

Excited.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »
Would you say it's an easy thing to pick up?

It's really, intensely difficult and frustrating - for a short while, then suddenly it clicks and you're away :D

I've seen some people spinning within a few hours, others take longer.  I am a complete klutz at anything demanding manual dexterity and it took me a couple of months to really get it.  I don't think I've seen anyone else take as long as I did!  lol

Get yourself along to your local Guild or group - some of them might have wheels they can lend you, even loan out, and all of them will have lovely generous people very glad to help you get started :)

Be warned, spinning is seriously addictive!

It is.   :innocent: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :knit: :spin: :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:57 pm »
I was at my spinning group this afternoon. It's such fun to sit in a room full of people spinning away, most on wheels but some on drop spindles. It's interesting to see all the different sorts of wheels as well. We have a bring and buy table and I try desperately to resist temptation. I nearly gave in and bought some more fleece today but someone got there before me, thank goodness. I have loads of the stuff.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:36:42 am »
It's such fun to sit in a room full of people spinning away

It is, isn't it!  I'm very lucky that I can do:

1st Saturday - Travelling Spinners, different venues around Northumberland
Every Wednesday - Stanhope Spinners
1st Friday - 'at home' with one of my Guild members
2nd Friday afternoon - my own local fibre group
2nd Saturday - Dumfries Guild
3rd Saturday - my own (Eden Valley) and also Tynedale Guild (I go to Tynedale now and again, especially May for the wonderful Spinners' Gathering, and in August each year the two Guilds have a joint meeting)

And there are knitting groups in Carlisle on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons too. :)

And in winter, when it's harder to get to Stanhope, three of us local spinners meet up at my spot some weeks to spin in my front room :)  (Now will be lovely and warm as the new Rayburn feeds a large radiator in there  :excited:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »
I keep seeing this thread go past and thinking you mean an hour of indoor cycling / vomiting set to music. I wonder if the two could be combined?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:02:17 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:58:26 pm »
Big thanks Greenerlife - sister-in-law has just been over for dinner, I mentioned your thread and she has offered me a 'spare' (!!) spinning wheel on semi-permanent loan!! Looks like I'm in business, all thanks to you  :hug:

Bionic, I'll be in touch as soon as I know you've managed to get back online...   :D

One way or the other moving to Wales and joining TAS have been the best things we've ever done!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:27:38 pm »
Big thanks Greenerlife - sister-in-law has just been over for dinner, I mentioned your thread and she has offered me a 'spare' (!!) spinning wheel on semi-permanent loan!! Looks like I'm in business, all thanks to you  :hug:

Bionic, I'll be in touch as soon as I know you've managed to get back online...   :D

One way or the other moving to Wales and joining TAS have been the best things we've ever done!

Yay!  :excited:   That's great!

I am a complete novice, so we'll have to compete!  I was given these fleeces and then went to Woolfest and bought a drop spindle and I mostly blame Fleecewife and some others here for enthusing me so much, so it's great to have passed some of that on!  Going tomorrow to meet with my fleecemaster (as I like to call him) so looking forward to it!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:31:48 pm »

1st Saturday - Travelling Spinners, different venues around Northumberland
Every Wednesday - Stanhope Spinners
1st Friday - 'at home' with one of my Guild members
2nd Friday afternoon - my own local fibre group
2nd Saturday - Dumfries Guild
3rd Saturday - my own (Eden Valley) and also Tynedale Guild (I go to Tynedale now and again, especially May for the wonderful Spinners' Gathering, and in August each year the two Guilds have a joint meeting)

And there are knitting groups in Carlisle on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons too. :)

And in winter, when it's harder to get to Stanhope, three of us local spinners meet up at my spot some weeks to spin in my front room :)  (Now will be lovely and warm as the new Rayburn feeds a large radiator in there  :excited: )

You are sooooooo lucky. I just get my group third Saturday in the  month and craft club first Saturday afternoon. I would like to join a knitting group but they all seem to be in the evenings and that is my worst time, physically, until about 9pm when all my drugs are working again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS