Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Boer Billy - available for stud  (Read 4026 times)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
New Boer Billy - available for stud
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »
We just went and picked up Mr Nearcroft Nutmeg yesterday, and he's settling in well.
He's already getting very excited that there's ladies next door, but he won't get to go out to play for a couple weeks.
He's a 5 year old, 96% pure, registered Boer, hopefully will add a little bit of meat to our British Saanens' kids!
If anyone in the area is looking for a billy to serve small numbers, we'd be happy to discuss using him as a stud.
We ended up buying the big fella because it's not easy logistically to get small numbers served.
Hope you like him!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: New Boer Billy - available for stud
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »
Just request that visiting nannies are CAE tested clear to protect your own stock.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:18 am »
Is that a legal req tizzala or just your personel opinion ?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:57:11 pm »
I'm sure Tiz will answer, but I have to say I wouldn't use a billy that was used on untested females, (ie owner requesting I produced certificate before the mating I would presume s/he would have asked others). Male should be tested as well, and have a certificate, for the sake of any future visiting females.
I had to have my cerificate faxed down from SAC, as useless vet hasn't sent it through, (sent the bill though), before my 160 round trip with the 2 girls to a pedigree Togg, and now 160 mile trip to pick them up tonight.
If every goat was tested before mating we could wipe this horrible disease out. I believe it's rife in America (and europe?), but the BGS advice and responsible goatkeepers have managed to keep it down here. (I THINK I read somewhere about 5% of the goat population could be infected)
Check out British Goat Society website.
Sorry if anyone takes this personaly, but I believe if all goatkeepers pulled together on this we could stop this disease in its tracks and we would all save time and money not having to get our goats tested.

Actually just checked on BGS website (under 'health')
hope it's OK to copy this bit - Heading was something about How Widespread?

Very low - less than 3% of all goats tested*. Due exclusively to self imposed controls and self-regulating measures introduced by British goat keepers to avoid the spread of infection without any government aid or EEC grants. The British Goat Society and its members have been foremost in waging war on the CAE virus and continue to do so today.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:12:51 pm by penninehillbilly »

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:48 pm »
Do you also have sheep PHB ?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:16 am »
I have 2 lambs from last year, but they are in a seperate field and don't mix with the goats, why?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:29:15 am »
So when you have been near\in contact with your 2 shearlings do you surgically scrub and carry out a 100% clothing change ???

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
Have pm'd you.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 05:03:22 am »
Not a legal requirement - Just a common sense requirement !

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:44:50 pm »
Mmmmmmmm seems some one Didn't want to answer my Question !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS