Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: opinions needed please re winter housing for goats  (Read 4140 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
opinions needed please re winter housing for goats
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:56:04 pm »
hi

I have a pair of pygmies that live out in a small field...they have a small bike shed as shelter and seem happy...last winter I had them in a different field with a pig shelter strawed down for winter..but this field got sold(I rent the land) so then I had to make them a new smaller field inside my ponies 10 acre field.
im considering bringing them into a 12x12 stable for winter as they eat mostly hay in winter and spend most of the time inside the shelter, but the field gets very muddy and access for me to hay them/check them/defrost water etc isn't great once the winter sets in as its so wet to get to it.and its so far from yard that is pitch black and hard to see even with a torch..the stable is down on my yard area with a small paddock area outside it that they could be let out into when I was around doing jobs but they couldn't come out every day into the paddock as its not well enough fenced to let them stay out unsupervised.for me bringing them into the stable will make checking/feeding them daily over winter a lot easier but do you think they'l be happy enough in there?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: opinions needed please re winter housing for goats
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »
18 of our goats live in and get out for a few hours on nice days , if they had the choice they wouldn't be out as long as they are.
during the worst of the winter they are in all of the time as we can easily have 4-5 ft drifts of snow outside. they are happy and even if the door is open they don't go out.
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:13:04 pm »
The stable sounds just right.

My Old English can let themselves out into the ghyll from the goat byre, but as Sokel says, often they prefer to stay in. My pygmies I walk out to the paddock, which has a small field shelter in, but I leave them in the byre if it's going to be so horrid they'd spend all the day in the field shelter anyway, since the byre is nicer.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
My girls have a goat house but the door is kept open all hours all year unless the snow is driving into it in which case I shut it to keep the straw dry.  They do tend not to come out if it's dreadful, just keeping to a huddle in the back corner.  Sure that's what I'd do if someone kept me outside  ;) .  I'm a bit wet when it comes to  the wee pygmies though, I do put doggy coats on them if it's really freezing - in the minuses I mean, but take them off during the day as it's often sunny and warm even in the snow. 

The mini shetland ponies just look at them and shake their heads ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »
They'll be happy enough inside with some access to the outside when supervised in winter. Mine do not go out in winter, or just in small groups (same as share their pens) as letting out the whole herd irregularly results in bloody heads as they have to re-establish their pecking order.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:33:04 am »
Stable sounds fine , make sure it has draught free ventilation and a good deep bed of straw, they will be Ok

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:48:55 pm »
I only have a back garden so all year round mine have a shed with constant access to a yard. They do spend a fair amount of time inside especially when it's cold or wet and I would say they are happy goats. They are certainly fit and healthy.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:29 pm »
Mine are stabled, I'd rather have a nice barn but it's all we have at present.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:54:51 pm »
My girls are in the yard in their new goat house although they spent last year in a 12x12 stable, they have access to the fields but spend most of their time in the yard or lying in their house in the sun. If I need to keep them confined I set up some sheep hurdles around their house.
Anne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:31 am »
I would definitely say the stable! Ours are kept in most or the winter, much like Anke does.

Beth

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »
update.i took all your advice and made a stable into a winter pad for the boys..attached pics of there new winter houseing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 05:31:49 pm »
Looks good and I love the slide.  :excited:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »
Wow, even an indoor arena :thumbsup: .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »
very nice, we have pygmies too they're fab, ours would be jealous of the ramps ..... hmm think I'll have a look at all our timber next time I'm outside, see what we can come up with, thanks!  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS