Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice re seasons  (Read 5562 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Advice re seasons
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:09 pm »
My Boer x Sanaan is now 21 months old. She didn't come into season last year at all but someone on here said that Boers mature sexually later than dairy goats. My Sanaan came into season two weeks ago but still nothing from Cloud. I was hoping to breed from her this year so I could have the milk and meat. She has a fish tail teat so I wouldn't want to keep or sell any kids, but it's looking unlikely that there will be any to eat anyway.

Should I be worried or could it still happen this year?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Advice re seasons
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:06:41 am »
I would have a word with your Vet......................he will be able to give her an injection to kick start her ovaries.     Sometimes a cystic ovary will prevent coming into season just as it will sometimes cause a goat to be constantly in season.
She should be in heat within 4 days of the injection ,  although I have had a response within 24hrs.  So be prepared to serve her as soon as you soon recognisable signs.................keep serving her while ever she will stand because with an induced heat it is more difficult to know exactly when is the right time !!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:52 pm »
Hi
I have a 100%boer female, unfortunately her brother got her before I even knew she'd been in season, she kidded (safely thank goodness) at just over 12 month old, so not sure about this late starter idea!
Maybe she just doesn't 'show' ? my BSx must have been in season by now but apart from her playing up a bit one day there's been nothing unusual from her (didn't see her last year but for various reasons I left her running with a male).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »
I've not noticed any difference in her at all and I've been watching. I thought when Pom came in it would trigger Cloud but if she has done anything, she's made a good job of hiding it.

Jane, I'll give my vet a ring.

Penninehillbilly, that does rather disprove the late maturing theory.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »
We have 3 of this years kids. 1 x 100% and 2 x 87 1/2 % all 3 where born in March. They have all been in season In fact 1 of them is in season now for the 3rd time. We also have 5 dairy and 2 50% boer goatlings that all came together and non of them have had a season this year yet
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:56:52 pm »
Is there a billy near you? Can you get a billy rag, if she is thinking about it a whiff of that may get her showing?
I think I'll try and get one for Angel, I really need to know where I am with her, she may have just been feeling a bit skittish that day (which was well over 3 weeks ago).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:20 am »
I do know someone with a billy who is quite close. Might be worth a try. It would be a lot cheaper than getting the vet out.
Er... what do I do exactly with a billy rag?  :dunce:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 06:51:13 am »
A billy rag is useful.            BUT if she is unable to cycle without assistance..........then it wont help because she simply wont be 'turned on' by the smell.
You could take her to the Vet !!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »
The billy owner will rub a cloth round the head, nice(?) smelly areas of Billy and your little lady for some strange reason should get very excited when she smells it  ::)  (Yuk)
But I agree with Jane, 21 month and no sign, esp if Pom as been there, may be the mild autumn, but might be worth that injection.
Depending when you want her kidding, it may be worth getting a billy rag (keep in a poly-bag) and wafting the bag under her nose for a couple of weeks, if interest she will be interested but excitement may be a better word? Should at least show if she's the 'silent' type?
If no luck there as Jane says, vet bill!   and have the male on standby!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:37 pm »
Even better is to go and present the billy owner with a new collar for his boy and take the old one away and put onto your girl. It will stink out your shed, but will bring her into season. I found that last year when one of my goatlings didn't come into season until end of November ( I did use a blly rag on her  with no results and got really worried and put the collar onto her by mid-Nov). She kidded 28th April, quite late but not too late.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 11:50:25 pm »
How is she doing MGM?
My girl has finally started to tail wag today, and bleat a bit, not very enthusiastically though. At least its something  :) .

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »
we have 6 out of a group of 7 adults from our new 2nd herd that have not been in season yet this year. One came in on Friday so  :fc: the others will start
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
I am now undecided whether to keep her as a companion goat or try to get her in season and breed from her. If I don't then I will have to breed from Pom this year or I won't have enough milk next winter. It's two and a half years since she last kidded. Her kids will be pure Sanaan which appeals to me. As Cloud has a fishtail teat, any kids she has will have to go for meat, male or female.

Decisions, decisions.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
Breed from Pom and eat the other one once Pom has kidded...that's what I would do...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »
When she developed the fishtail teat, several people said I should have her pts but my vet said that it shouldn't be a problem. I needed to keep her for company for Pom anyway and I am quite attached to her. I just don't want to spend money on her if I am not going to get it back. She's probably be a bit tough by now. I know Curry is and he went when he was 20 months. If I breed from Pom and she has a female, I would want to keep that one anyway. Another male would be for the freezer.

I don't know if I could eat Cloud now she has been a pet. Curry was always destined for the pot and that was hard enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS