Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhododendron Poisoning  (Read 16978 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Rhododendron Poisoning
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:00 am »
If it's any help in the dosing issue, I measure what is required in a syringe and mark the equivalent on a turkey baster and use it as you can get it further to the back of their mouths.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:47 am »
3 ewes looking much better .... on their feet, nibbling at food and starting to look for escape routes from the shelters. Eyes look clearer and reactions more normal. Eating hay, coarse mix and branches that we picked for them. Think we will let them into the field later today if they continue to look okay.

The ewe that we thought we would lose yesterday looked not too bad first thing but now seems to be going downhill quite fast. Hardly able to stand. Lifting her and she is urinating but then straight back down. Still drenching with life aid and strong sugary tea in between. Picked her everything I can think of to get her to eat but think she looks too weak to bother. She is the mum of the favourite wether that we lost on Thursday evening  :'( .

Anything else we can do?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 03:21:12 pm »
A big thanks to all of you that have supported us. I suppose it's part of keeping sheep but a really horrible time. We are exhausted with watching them in such distress.

We have spoken to the vet. He feels that there is little chance of our ewe recovering and will put her to sleep for us  :'( :'( :'( . OH dealing with that now. Don't want to see her suffer any more. It seems cruel to continue with the drench. She has squealed in pain as I have handled her and looks to me as though she has given up.

Vet feels that if they are now eating the others should recover.

Thanks

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »
 :fc:   :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »
If something is in pain, then it is kinder to let them go peacefully and you have done the right thing :hug:
How you deal with the stupid neighbour is a difficult one >:( .  Short term solution may not be the same as the long term :-\

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »
So sorry to hear of your distress. You have done everything humanly and humanely possible. Getting emotionally involved with animals is one of the pleasures - and price we pay - of looking after them. Be kind to yourselves, the horrendous weather hasn't helped and I hope that you feel the warmth and healing power of some winter sunshine very soon

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
So sorry to hear of all of your troubles - you have certainly done the best for your sheep. Well done. My heart goes out to you
4 pet sheep

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 10:24:44 pm »
ith - so sorry for this horrible time for you  :bouquet: :bouquet:  - you have done your best that's all any of us can do.  :bouquet: :bouquet:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:00 pm »
So sorry to hear you've been through such a traumatic time. Hope things get easier soon, and thanks for sharing, so others can benefit from your experiences. Liz x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS