Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhododendron Poisoning  (Read 16977 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: Rhododendron Poisoning
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:38 am »
In the Hills;  Sad end after a thoughtless act. As suggested I’d have a ‘word’ with your neighbour, you don’t want a repeat.

Others;  I understand why charcoal but why strong Tea, is it the stimulant effect?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:38 am »
So sorry to hear about this.  :( :bouquet:

Others;  I understand why charcoal but why strong Tea, is it the stimulant effect?

I think it's an astringent which can help reduce the sheep's ability to absorb the toxins?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:30 am »
Another 4 sheep seem to be affected. OH been checking and difficult to tell how bad they are because it's throwing it down and they are not letting us get close to them and are naturally standing in the hedges out of the rain but they look odd. Bit wobbly at times, slightly glazed look, and think a couple may have clear fluid around mouths. They are on their legs and not responding as they normally would to the bucket. Managed to sneak up on one and have drenched with tea and charcoal .... can't get the others.

Have called vet. He is advising against injections or treatment but says he will put up some liquid life aid. Odd ..... got the feeling that he didn't think it was worth treating the wether yesterday .... though he did see him when I explained we only had a small flock. Maybe for proper farmers the low chance of recovery isn't worth the cost/stress on the animal.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:44 pm »
Can you get them in, under cover, in a shelter or something, and treat them all?  I would imagine that the sooner you treat them the more chance they will have?  I personally wouldn't rely on the vet, I'd do as much as I can myself and anything extra the vet can add is a bonus.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »
Tried several times. Can't even get close enough to most of them to get a good look. Normally come to the bucket no trouble .... it's the older ewes and not lambs so they are relatively easy to handle ... but they just seem real skittish. Strange look in their eyes. Land is saturated and on steep slope .... seems impossible. 3 of us been trying.  Scared to chase them around too much .... might I do more harm than good? Leaving them to settle and going to try again.

Just feel useless.  :'(  Poor things.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:30 pm »
Agree about not chasing them around too much - I suspect if they were feeling really poorly they would be easy to catch as wouldn't want to run far (like the wether you were able to catch hold of very easily).  I would leave them for a bit and let them settle down again - just keep an eye on them to ensure they don't rapidly go downhill.   :fc: for you all.   

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »
They look odd. Bit wobbly at times, slightly glazed look, and think a couple may have clear fluid around mouths. They are on their legs and not responding as they normally would to the bucket.

Maybe they didn't eat as much as the other one. I recognize those symptoms - I've had a couple of instances when one has been unable to stand, looked totally spaced out and had some dribble round the mouth. I put them in a quiet corner of the garden where I could keep an eye on them and they were back on their feet next day.

I've had the cold tea remedy suggested to me since it last happened but haven't had the need to try it (yet).

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »
Really sorry to hear this, fingers crossed for the others. I have heard about this but never experienced it, hope not to but advice on here is very helpful as always. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 01:36:07 pm »
So sorry for you  :hug:  we had this happen a couple of years ago to a north ronaldsay we had only had for a week. Vet said immediately she was likely to die and although we did everything as has been said already, she died.  It was a horrible death and was very very stressful to us.  If something like this happened again I would be most likely to have it shot as even if they do live they can have problems later in life stemming from it.

Terrible situation for you with the neighbour too, these things unfortunately, happen. Try not to make too much of it, sure the neighbour will be devastated.  :bouquet:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:39 pm »
Im so sorry, this must be so horrible for you  :hug:

I agree that neighbour can't be demonised esp if he is under medical stress, as long as he understands what the consequences of his mistake were, so that it doesnt happen again and he spreads the word. Financial compensation is a tricky one, he should pay for replacements in all fairness. 

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 02:15:31 pm »
my mother had a couple of goats that died this way. through eating rhodedendrons, A horrible death, they died screaming, she managed to save some by making them sick, i have forgotton what she used, but even those that lived were never quite the same after.

dreadful thing to happen to you. my sympathies.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
Oh, what an awful thing to have happened.  :fc:  for the others
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:17 pm »
Torrential rain this afternoon. The ewes were in the field shelter and 2 worst affected were on their own in the covered chicken run. Managed somehow to sneak round the back and lock both lots in. Run is big so room to block ewes in with hurdles and open run door for chickens. We have followed vets instructions for dosing with life aid and also treated worst affected with tea and charcoal mix. Vet gave us a big syringe but had a real job getting it down them ...... spluttering and vomiting green muck. Thought we would lose one ewe. Lying motionless, no attempt to move. Sat stroking her a while and just lay with her head on my lap. Last dosing session she is on her feet and seen her nibbling hay. They have all actively swallowed the dose this time rather than sicking it all over us ....seemed to want it almost. They look more comfortable. Scared to hope.

Neighbour is least thing on my mind at the moment. Told him and he immediately started yelling that it wasn't his fault. Quite aggressive and no word of a sorry. He has asked loads of times if he could throw green stuff into the field and I have repeatedly told him no as some garden plants are poisonous. Always argues that sheep can eat anything. Not an easy man. Another neighbour was there on one occasion and actually told him that rhododendron was deadly and that he had been told that by the local farmer. So forgive me, I try to always see the good in people and have done this man many favours but at the moment I have no sympathy for him only the suffering of my sheep. If he is devastated he shows none of it.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 07:47:57 pm »
 :( well done your giving your best shot :fc:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 09:47:38 pm »
So sorry to read about your boy, I hope the rest of them pull thru. when I live with my parents I had goats, a neighbour did the same thing, my poor girl was vomiting stuff up, all over the walls, I've never seen an animal go downhill so quick, had the vet, kept checking her thru the night, had next day off work, luckily she survived, don't remember any screaming.
I think I'd read someting about a high dose of vit C helped?
Just been looking at goat veterinary book. I presume they would be similar to goats in this instance?.
goats vomit, salivate, become very depressed. can be ill for several days and develop laboured breathing. Vitamins can be useful to speed up detoxification. Vet may prescribe penicillin injection because of poisons affect on digestive system.
Good Luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS