Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhododendron Poisoning  (Read 16979 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Rhododendron Poisoning
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:59:41 pm »
Sheep all fine this morning. Been out for the day and went to check sheep on our return.

Couldn't believe it .... neighbour has been cutting back shrubs in his garden and thrown rhododendron cuttings in a pile near the boundary fence. Some had fallen into the field. One wether (our favourite and as tame as a dog) was missing from the flock. Found him down by the brook standing tucked up and with greenish stains on his chin and bubbles coming from his mouth. Daughter and I tried to lead him to the shelter but he collapsed. Left daughter with him and rang vet who told us to get him straight there but chances weren't good. He has had 2 injections .... pain killer and something to keep his heart going.

Anything else we can do? Vet says keep fingers crossed. Says neighbour is liable. Liable ..... feel like throttling him  :rant: .

He is now vomiting.  :'( [size=78%] [/size]

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Rhododendron Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:22 pm »
Caffeine in  some form strong coffee / tea /red bull can help and large injections of multi vitamins  , vomiting is a very good thing its all about how much has been cosumed, i get cases every year and most recover

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »
Thanks.

Farming neighbours just rung and says he remembers strong tea being given to cattle.

Should I just syringe it in? How much?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
We had similar last year. Strong tea with sugar; kaolin and morphine (if you can get it, we couldn't), charcoal - we got it from the chemist and ground it up in the strong tea.

Vet gave him a steroid, an anti-inflam, and antibiotic and a vitamin injection ( I think) - he said it really came down to how much the she.ep had eaten in relation to his bodyweight. All the jags were to make him more comfortable and address any underlying issues.

If you can try and keep him eating, it keeps the rumen going too. Our Dickie survived but we dosed him last thing at night and it was that awful feeling opening the byre door in the morning, fearful if what we'd find - and there he was, bright as abutton and looking for breakfast.

:fc: that your sheep is OK too. I think I'd be inviting the neighbour round to see him while he's sick though

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »
A mug full but very strong 10 or so tea bags left to stew, syringe will work but go slowly giving time to swollow

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
Thanks.

Neighbour is going in for a hip replacement in the morning and can barely walk or he would be here helping ..... bless him. I'm on duty there from tomorrow ..... sheep, ponies and 16 collies.

Only a little Soay, Rosemary, and the greediest one I've got. Bet he has scoffed loads  :( . Should have gone to the butcher a few weeks back but we are so fond of him that he is still here. I know  ::) [size=78%] [/size]

Managed to get some charcoal (designed for horses with digestive upsets) so hoping that won't hurt him and sorting out the strong tea .... thanks shep53.

How much charcoal should I give. Just looked and no instructions.  :thinking:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:01 pm »
Grind up to make a paste that you can push through the syringe thick as possible again a mug full, never tried it myself just tea

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:00 pm »
He's dead.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:46 pm »
Real tough one this. I've had it in my own ewes. The trouble is eating one leaf is enough to make them look really bad but takes a decent handful to kill them. I tried coffee to no effect, as in they still died! Charcoal was the stuff. Vet poured about a litre into them and we managed to save a couple of them. Sadly we were to late for the other 8! Pain killer and muscle relaxant was good as well.
Strange that the sheep would eat the stuff because it's really bitter for them. They usually only eat it when there is snow on the ground and it is the only greenery available and even then only if they are really very hungry.

All the best with them, stick the vets bill through the door I think!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
 :hug: so sorry  :bouquet:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:16:41 pm »
Oh lover, so sorry  :gloomy: . How dreadful for the poor mite and for you. Take this up with that stupid bloody neighbour. It won't bring him back but they should know how much pain they've caused.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »
ah, no. So sorry  :bouquet:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:47:29 am »
So sorry to read about you sheep  :bouquet:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:48 am »
So sorry to hear this  :bouquet:  :'( 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:19:51 am »
Thank you to those that posted with advice and for the sorries. Much appreciated. Must have consumed too much I guess. Dead in the shelter when we went down to give the tea and charcoal. The vet said the chances weren't good.

Checked the others til turned midnight. Well, as best we could in the dark. Didn't sleep much last night, as the vet said there was a chance they maybe affected later. All seem okay this morning, so  :fc: . They are back in with the lambs now so not in the affected paddock. Will sort that today.

Usually I walk through that field about 4 times a day with the dogs so would have spotted it. The one day I'm out .........  :( . Probably would have had a better end if I had sent him on his way.  :'( 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS