Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tup harness  (Read 4436 times)

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
Tup harness
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:01:37 pm »
I've never used raddle or harnesses before but decided to try equipping both tups with harnesses this year so that I can bring the ewes in close to their lambing dates. I used to just bring the whole flock in off the hill just before lambing was due to start, but now there are more than 40 ewes and if we have another spring like the last one they will find more to eat on the hill than on the croft.

Anyway 2 harnesses turned up in the post last week, with a selection of crayons and I decided to give the Suffolk Cross shearling a head's start, fitted the harness and turned him loose with half a dozen ewes that have a habit of straying off along the road and have been brought in early as a result.

Next morning I found him with a red and blue necklace and the crayon knocking against his front knees. Refitted the harness (it wasn't so easy to catch him this time) and made sure the girth strap was further back. This morning wasn't so bad as yesterday but the crayon was still hanging too loosely to be of use.

Fed them all in the pen, shut the gate and when they'd finished I refitted the harness as pictured below. Would some of you more knowledgeable folks like to cast your eye over it and tell me if it looks right or not? Any tips for fitting these harnesses so they stay in place?

Just thinking that if I'm going to have to catch them every day or two to adjust or refit the harnesses then I'd be as well using raddle instead.The other tup is going to object even more to being caught and handled on a daily basis and he weighs considerably more!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Tup harness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:33:05 pm »
Been 20yrs since iv'e used a harness due to their drawbacks  , lost crayons and  chaffing ,  put on as tight as you can then day or so later re tighten , yours looks loose

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »
It is a bit hard to see from the pictures, but I would say that it is too far back, the girth strap should be much closer to his elbow, the whole thing needs to be a lot tighter, and also, the straps just don't look right - where you've got a Y shape coming over the tup's back, the rear strap should not be going backwards but straight, and the other one should be going forward to meet the strap that comes over his shoulder from the crayon.  I know what I mean but it is hard to explain!

Just found this blog,
http://hopesayglebefarm.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/hill-radnor-flock-expansion.html
if you scroll down a bit there is tup with one fitted better.  I do think you might be better with just raddle, we put 17 tups out and have gradually moved from harnesses to just raddle - less handling time, less stress, especially as we are often catching and handling in big areas.  We use raddle for exactly the same reason as you, to bring the right sheep off the hill at the right time.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:24:20 pm »
I bought a harness way back but have never used it. We use raddle paste - much easier and more comfy for the tup too, I think

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37:24 pm »
we used a harness on our tup and after a week took it off and went to raddle, looked like it was starting to ruin his wool and was catching it on his little knees alot found alot easier with raddle marker and the marking more prominant.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »
Same as several others we gave up on harness about 24 hours after first fitting it. Just couldn't get it anywhere near tight enough to stay on. Felt like it was an instrument of torture.  Raddle paste only for past 4 years

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:16:20 pm »
We found the harness either too loose to be of any use or too tight to be comfortable for the tup, resulting in chafing. Also the crayon block was easily dislodged with over enthusiasm on his part. Now use raddle paste changing colour every two weeks. He likes it being rubbed in and the ladies get a good definate splodge.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:37:42 am »
Agree with Mowhaugh's comments, you have it placed too far back, and you have it far too loose.  It needs to be tight enough to squash the all wool underneath it.  Also it's definitely worth re-tightening it the following day (or later the same day) once it's settled into position.
It looks a bit like mine which is a Mating Mark one. If it is, they have instructions and a little video on their website: [size=78%]http://www.rurtec.com/130766/html/page.html[/size]

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:51 am »
Thanks for the input, folks, especially mowhaugh and foobar - very helpful. I think my problems arose through a misunderstanding of where a "girth strap" would go, along with a reluctance to cause discomfort by pulling the straps too tight.

Things look better now, but I can see how easily chafing could occur. I think I'll switch to raddle for this fellow as he is a bit small still and put the harness on the blackie tup, who is a lot bigger, has a lot more wool to protect him and is far more difficult to catch - nothing like as docile as the tup in Rosemary's raddle video, or even the one in the mating-mark video. His reaction to being caught is more like this beastie's :)

bucking steer out of the shute into the corral     

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS