Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 15295 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Slow cooker
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:19 am »
I know several of you on here use slow cookers.
I have just retrieved mine from the back of the cupboard. One problem I always had is having too much liquid. You need enough to cover but it doesn't evaporate so doesn't thicken. What do you do to help this along?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:50 am »
If I think it needs a bit of thickening I take some of the liquid out at near the end of cooking time, thicken it with cornflour and then stir it back through. This usually works ok.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:42 pm »
Yep - as you say you need to cover all the ingredients in liquid so pack the hard stuff down and fill all the gaps then cover with stock,sauce or water. Before eating I empty the slow cooker and either boil the cr-p out of the liquid to reduce it or make a roux and add the liquid bit by bit.
I did chinese style pork last night with 5 spice,fresh ginger and garlic,onions, soy sauce, sweet chilli dipping sauce and tomatoes. Overcooked it though as the meat fell off the ribs each time I picked it up to have a nibble.

( Oh - I have taken to marinate all meat ( cockerall pork and steweing beef) for 12 hours or more before I put it in the slow cooker - fuller taste if making coq au vin or beef in red wine).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »
Depending on what I make, if its a stew with loads of veg, I will add potato's with the raw veg, then when its all done, take out most of the liquid, take out some of the veg but all the potato's, then blitz them and put the liquid that is now thick back and stir, sometimes I add a packet of ready made soup, or condensed soup, and for curry I will add coconut powder or instant mash, I also often have thick soup in the freezer that I can add, depends on what sort of flavour  you want to end  up with.  :thumbsup:  I love the slow cooker too, we bought a big one so I can freeze stuff too!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »
Yes, flour or cornflour.

Will be finding mine out ready for winter soon.  :excited:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:07 pm »
Personally I don't think it's necessary to cover the meat with liquid in the first place.  The meat goes a little crispier, and has to be stirred once or twice, but other than the inconvenience works well.

I've just done the Mary Berry beef stew with horseradish dumplings recipe in this months Sainsbury magazine - yummy!  Thoroughly recommended.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
You can also make fab slow cooked fruit compote with dried and or fresh fruit, and also baked rice pudding, tho not at the same time  :-J

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:03:13 pm »
Thank you all  :thumbsup:
I think I am going to make a beef stew on Sunday and will thicken it with one of the suggestions.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 05:14:04 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
I did duck confit in the oven's slow cooker. The parsons's nose, skin and any fat I found sat on the bottom of an iron pan and duck legs and wings sat on top. I already had some stock from the bones and gizzard ( we eat them on a green salad). A few pieces of garlic and black pepper and 8 hours in the slow cooker. A real success AND now I have enough fat to do the next batch of duck limbs in the slow cooker (without any stock).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:55:24 pm »
Hi Sally
... just had beef stew from mine for tea!  I am lazy and usually add a packet of dried Colman's (or other) packet mix's. Always do double the amount and freeze some.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 01:02:07 am »
I don't completely cover with liquid either. In any case, I thicken the liquid with gravy granules before it goes in so it is fairly thick by the time it cooks.

You can make a lovely rice pudding in the slow cooker. In fact, the only time I make a decent rice pudding is when I do it in the slow cooker.  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 08:04:02 am »
I've joined the Facebook page (thanks Annie) and am amazed at all the desserts they are making in their slow cookers. I'm just about to restart my diet so I won't be trying any of them soon but I am sure the day will come  ;D

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 08:11:40 am »
I toss the meat in flour first before adding the stock/wine/whatever liquid mines usually a cube with a splash of either Worcestershire or dark soy sauce and a dollop of tomato puree....i  don't actually cover completely with liquid and generally have a good consistency stew........ :sunshine:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:48 am »
Well......after reading this post curiosity got the better of me and I looked at the fb link ......now I've joined and am completely addicted........only ever used it for stew esque type cooking when at work or out for the day......now i'm going to try a treacle sponge in it later  ;D :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS