Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Scottish Tablet Recipe?  (Read 14582 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Best Scottish Tablet Recipe?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »
Hi,
If you are anywhere near Penrith, the Toffee shop there has fudge to die for, it is actually more like tablet, the chocolate one is sooooooooo good.
Drooling just thinking about it.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:17 pm »
Hi,
If you are anywhere near Penrith, the Toffee shop there has fudge to die for, it is actually more like tablet, the chocolate one is sooooooooo good.
Drooling just thinking about it.
Regards
Sue
I second that  ::)  I visit every time I go to Penrith  :innocent:
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:16 pm »
I'm glad I don't live near there. I have no will-power.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 02:06:08 am »
Round these parts its called butter tablet or even cornish buttter tablet tho I understand its origins are indeed scottish. Bloomin scrumptious

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
I always had it in my head that tablet was something that a man made on his rare venture into the kitchen, probably because it was my grandfather that used to make it and then I made loads and loads of it for favours at my wedding.

I don't have the exact recipe to hand but the following is what I can roughly remember.
Butter, sugar, condensed milk (the really thick sweet stuff).  I can't remember the proportions.

Melt them together in a pan and bring to the boil.  After boiling for a few minutes it will start to go a bit darker in colour.  A bit of trial and error is needed until you can judge what is the ideal colour to take it off the heat.

As soon as it is done take it off the heat and start beating it with a wooden spoon and keep beating it until it is nearly cool.  This is critical that is gets enough mixing at this stage and you will be tempted to give up half way, don't, you need to keep going until you have arms like Popeye.

When it is nearly cool but still not set put it in a greased tray to set properly.

It is pretty difficult to get it right first time but failures will still be quite edible (in a teeth destroying, heart stopping way).

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »
So all this beating - must it be done by hand or could you do it in a blender thing?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:48 am »
It might work with a food mixer but you would want to be careful you didn't damage your mixer by overloading it as the mixture will be quite stiff. 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 08:02:14 am »
thanks  :thumbsup:

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
We've got a recipe in an old scottish book, my mum made it for years and years. I don't know if you could do the beating in a mixer, wouldn't the mix be too hot at the beginning?

I'll type up the recipe for you later today.

Beth

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 07:26:40 pm »
Thanks _ will need to get sugar supplies.  I rarely use it on or in anything myself so of course didnt bring much with me in Thebus.  Perhaps thats why I enjoy it so much - sugar rush - sugar rush  :D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:27 pm »
Ok, so from "The home book of Scottish Cookery". First published 1967, our copy published in 1973.

Vanilla Tablet.

Ingredients.
1lb granulated sugar
2oz butter
1 tbs. syrup
1/4 pint milk
1 teasp vanilla essence.

Before making, grease a tin 6" by 6". Put the milk, sugar, butter, and syrup into a pan (a heavy bottomed one is better) and dissolve slowly.
Boil to 245 F, or until a drop forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and allow the bubbles to settle, add the vanilla essence and beat until thick.
Pour into the tin, giving the tin a shake to settle the tablet. Mark into squares when almost cold.

Vary the flavouring by adding one of the following,

4oz chopped walnuts
Rind and juice of 1 orange
2teasp cocoa
2 oz crystallised chopped ginger
2tbs coffee essence

Apologies for the imperial measurements! We also make cherry flavour, by adding chopped glacé cherries. Can recommend the walnut, cocoa (chocolate flavour), ginger and the cherry.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS