Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 15328 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:52:19 am »
Padge, I am so tempted with it as well. What a day to start my diet  :(
It seems that everyone has a more sophisticated slow cooker than I do. They are talking about which temperature, slow, medium, high.... well mine is old and doesn't have a choice. Just switch on and leave it. I wonder if it matters too much.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 09:47:23 am »
We cook nearly all the time with a slow cooker. Why use an expensive electric cooker when you can cook brilliantly without it (and in our case generally use the electric from the PV panels to do it)? We now have two different sized ones (Morphy Richards) so that we can get a whole chicken etc in the big one if we want

My wife even does a brilliant blackberry and apple crumble in it. I make all our marmalade for the year in it in January. Our recipe is here

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/everyday-stuff/making-marmalade-in-a-slow-cooker-part-2/

Generally there is no need to thicken recipes; just use far less liquid than you usually would. Once you have got used to using one the advantages are brilliant; much cheaper, virtually impossible to spoil food and meals ready for you when you come back in from work or going for a walk etc.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 10:42:34 am »
They're very good for mulled wine at parties too. Best with the big size though. ;)

Oh, and you can use a crock pot for dyeing wool, if you use food grade colours like the ones made for colouring icing.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »
got me salivating. getting to the slow cooker time of year. nothing better than bunging a load of root veg and beef and herbs in the pot first thing and letting it stew all day while out doing stuff. the smell is amazing- pop dumplings in, light the fire, have a shower, crack open a beer and tuck in yummmmmmmm!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:05:10 pm »
We have a slow cooker oven that we stand cast iron casseroles in. No control settings ( 80 - 90 degrees I think) and I use it overnight on cheap rate electricity.
I gather it is like leaving a 60 W light bulb on.
The thing is I have had to move the bed downstairs and waking up and making tea to the smell of duck or stew is all rather odd.
I don't eat puddings but I am going to use the slow cooker more this winter.   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:19 pm »
I have used my slow cooker to cook my Christmas puddings. No steam, lovely dark colour and I didn't need to worry about boiling dry. I shall use it for reheating in Christmas Day, so again I don't need to worry if we take a but longer to get round to eating pudding, and it leaves the stove top free for everything else that needs to be cooked.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:18 pm »
Don't try making jelly in it - jam works but not jelly - never sets ad just turns brown.  :gloomy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:52:58 am »
I tried making jam in mine. I wasn't sure how long to give it so I tested it a few times and it wasn't ready. then I forgot about it and, when I went back to it, I found I had made Jostaberry toffee.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:10:07 am »
What's the link to the FB page? Sounds interesting.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:50 am »
What's the link to the FB page? Sounds interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/slowcookersaddos/

There's been a bit of animosity on that page recently - just ignore that and enjoy the recipes
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:26 am »
I also love my slow cooker, I don't tend to do puddings as I'm the only one who eats them in my family! But I do lots of other stuff. I usually use corn flour to thinken. but I also have used less liquid for some recipes.

my biggest slow cooker tip for those who keep quail - I usually slow cooker my quail. before serving i scoop them out and pull every last nit of meat off those tiny bones! Its a great way to make the most of our little birds. I've even found that I only need 4 birds to feed my family of two adults and three children.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:10 am »
I tried making jam in mine. I wasn't sure how long to give it so I tested it a few times and it wasn't ready. then I forgot about it and, when I went back to it, I found I had made Jostaberry toffee.

Actually - that sounds very nice! :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 06:09:56 pm »

It wasn't bad but could have done with a bit more sugar. I also had to gnaw from the big lump as I couldn't cut it.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 09:44:34 am »

It wasn't bad but could have done with a bit more sugar. I also had to gnaw from the big lump as I couldn't cut it.

Push a stick in - Jostaberry lollie! And sugar is bad for you - so at least you know this was a (relatively) healthy sweetie...

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
I know this is resurrecting an oldie but since joining slowcooker saddos  I must confess I am now a fully paid up member and the proud owner of 3 ......yes 3  she says in a very small voice  :-[ slowcookers   2 of which will be in action today...I've learnt so much just from reading and its made a huge difference to my working away planning for BH and the boys :thumbsup:
Oh   and today there is a free slow cooking kindle  book to download from amazon which someone posted  :excited: :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS